Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 Channels Receiver A/V Receivers

The Yamaha HTR5960 is a full-featured digital home theater receiver ready for all formats. It sports a couple of features that not only improve the sound quality of your system, they also make your life a little easier. Component Video Up Conversion takes S-Video and composite signals and converts them into a component signal. This not only ensures the highest quality video from any source, it means you only need one connection to your HDTV monitor. No more switching inputs according to your source, it can all go through the component video connection. The HTR5960 also has YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) which uses an optimizer microphone at the listening position to pick up test tones from your speakers, which the system then analyzes to let you know the best audio parameters. The system will even automatically equalize the sound according to the readings it takes, for the ultimate in convenience.

Submitted by trisweb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I can't complain one bit about this amplifier/receiver - it has plenty of inputs, all the features you need (with nothing left out, trust me), and sounds great in every aspect.

I'm using it to drive 4-ohm speakers, and it's plenty capable of the task. Does get a little hot as you might expect for any amp driving a 4-ohm load, so ventilate well especially in that case. Stereo sounds great from analog sources, phono pre-amp seems to be very good, the DACs are all Burr-Brown and digital-input audio (via Toslink optical cables) sounds nothing short of perfect, like it should be. Has a 'direct sound' mode to take out all the steps in-between the input and the output except amplification, which works great especially for the turntable. Also has pre-outs for every channel, and direct channel inputs, opening up the options of using it as a pre-amp for an external power amplifier (or any number of P.A.'s) or just a power-amplifier for an existing pre-amp; you might never do that, but the option is there. Functionally, everything's great and I'm very pleased with the sound quality and features far above what you'd expect from this price-point.

On top of that, the remote is easy to use, the inputs are re-assignable and re-nameable in any combination you want, and the whole thing is simple to use in general. I don't hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by dmoes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Note Price is in Canadian

I needed to replace My older NAD 910 Dolby Pro Logic Preamp it was great but lacked the features that I needed for my new HDTV and dish. Ive had it now five months now and its all that I hoped for and expected

as a previous owner of much NAD stuff my expectations were high. and I was very happy with the result. the sound is excelent. the setup with the YPAO microphone made the initial setup easy and the ability to tweek all of the settings after was handy. not that much had to be changed.

I am very pleased with it. and for those that like lots of features and abilities its got them

a word about HDMI it would have been nice but since IMHO component video and HDMI from a practical view give the same quality I cant see that either is better than the other on my 37 inch LCD I am glad I did not lay out the extra for the 5990 just for HDMI

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Roger Wineinger a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
I got this unit for my new HDTV and ipod. Works well with both. Sound is clear and strong. I tried two other brands before keeping this one.

Purchased At:   Best Buy