Yamaha HTR-5850 A/V Receivers

6.1 Channel Audio/Video Receiver
100 Watts x 6.1 (Front Left/Right/Center, Surround Left/Right/Center,Sub
Dolby Pro Logic,PLII,ES,EX Decoders
Pro Logic, PLII,PLIIX,Neo6 Sound Fields
Night Cinema, for enhanced sound at lower levels
Silent Cinema, for listening through headphones
(3) Optical Inputs (1) Optical Output (1) Coaxial Digital Input
(3) Composite (RCA) Audio L/R Inputs (3) Composite (RCA) Video Inputs (6) Composite (RCA) Multi Channel Inputs (3) S-Video Inputs (1) Composite (RCA) Video (Monitor) Output (2) S-Video (Monitor/VCR) Outputs (2) Component Video Inputs (1) Component Video (Monitor) Output (1) Set of Composite (RCA) Left/Right/Video Inputs (Front Panel) (1) 1/4" Phono Jack Input (Front Panel) (1) AM Antenna/Ground Terminal (1) FM Antenna Terminal (1) XM Antenna Terminal
Upconverts Composite Video to S-Video or Component Video resolusion (480i) Maximum
Upconverts S-Video to Component Video resolution (480i) Maximum
Allows pass-through of Component Video signals up to 1080i resolution
Non-Backlit Learning Remote

Submitted by crusher666 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
My decision to purchase this receiver was based mainly on three factors.

(1) My past expierience with Yamaha products (Very Positive)
(2) Having the option of connecting HD video sources to the receiver without sacrificing resolution.
(3) Incredible Price-to-Value ratio.

I researched many web sites paying particular attention to product reviews, customer reviews, and pricing. After exausting research, I decided on the HTR-5850. All that was left, was to find the best deal possible. After checking on 20+ e-stores, Ebay, Amazon, etc., I was able to win one in an auction on Ebay for $185. What a deal! It was delivered three days later.

In addition to puchasing the receiver, I made a decision to also purchase high quality speaker wires, component video cables, and a quality subwoofer interconnect cable. I figure if you are going to purchase a high-end receiver you should have high quality connections to take full advantage of the receivers capabilities.

The day has come. Receiver? Check! Speakers? Check! Cables and Wires? Check! Owners Manuals?Check! Away we go! I had allowed myself 5 hours to get the system set up and fine tuned. If you are going to set up an audio/video system, please allow yourself plenty of time to complete the task. The more components that you have to hook up, the more time that you will need. Give the better half some cash and send her shopping. Take the grandparents up on their offer to watch the little ones and send them off too. You need total uninterupted concentration. Also, if you are a novice at assembling an audio/video system, or feel that you might run into a situation that totally mistifies you, plan on having someone that you know with above average knowledge of electronic components on call to help you out with questions if needed.

The first thing I noticed when removing the receiver from the box was its weight. 25 lbs. When researching a high end receiver for purchase, note the weight of the product and where it will be placed in your room. Be sure that the platform, shelf, stand, etc. can provide adequet support for the weight of the unit. Also remember that receivers put off a considerable amount of heat when used at higher volumes for extended periods of time. Wooden supports, when exposed to heavier weights and heat, tend to "warp" or "sag".

I started making the connections. I proceeded in accordence with the manual. This is very important. It will save you from having to go back and rework connections. The manual is very easy to follow with illustations and connection details for multiple components. The connectors are well labled and thoughtfully layed out keeping similar component connections closely grouped. Connections are "TIGHT" with no play or loseness. Speaker connections except bare wire or banana clips. I had all of the speaker wires and component connectors pre-ran to the receiver location ahead of time so that I could make all of the connections at one time. This saves some time and allows you to focus on the task at hand. Total connection time was 50 minutes. Not bad! Ready to shoot the juice to er! NOT! Read the manual. You must check the speaker impedance setting before powering up the amp. I set the impedance and switched the unit on. It powered up fine. I entered the setup menu. You have the option to perform BASIC SETUP or MANUAL SETUP. I chose the basic setup prefering to "Tweek" the system later. The menu appears on the front panel display. It is bright and easily read from six to eight feet away. I made it through the basic setup in about 15 minutes. After setup, the amp performs a speaker test cycling a test sound through each speaker. Once complete, the menu asks if the test was sucsesful. In my case, it was. YES! Time to take this unit for a test drive. I chose to play a DVD on my HD DVR. I wanted to see if the video signal would pass through the receiver and make it to my HD LCD monitor at 1080i resolution. WOW! What a picture! I think the picture looks even better than it did when my DVR was connected straight to the monitor. OK, the video passthrough is awesome. Now to test the audio. WOW again! The sound is incredible! I cycled through the different sound fields. Each one creates a unique sound enviroment. I will definatly have to go in and adjust the variables for each to match my speakers and room dimentions but not bad for basic setup. I am thoughly impressed! The volume is selectable from level -40 to +40. I have it set on -11 and it is "rocking the room". I have a 100 watt Audio Source powered subwoofer connected and the sound is simply breathtaking. The amp is sending a clean, powerful signal to it. This amp allows you to adjust the cross-over frequency thereby allowing you to select the LFE levels that you want to bypass the other speakers and go directly to the sub. Another great feature about this receiver is the option of adding a rear center speaker. If you have never listened to a 6 speaker setup versus a 5 speaker setup please do. It makes a considerable difference and adds more depth and clarity to audio especially to dialogue.

Now that I have been using this receiver for about 3 weeks, I am even more certain that I made an excellent choice in purchasing the Yahama HTR-5850. This a high-end receiver that can be purchased for under $275. I feel Its output clarity, power, sound field selections, and ease of use options are unserpassed in this price range and make it an exceptional value!

Purchased At:   Ebay