Yamaha HTR-5560 A/V Receivers

4.62/5 (37 Reviews)

The HTR-5560 is a powerful and versatile 6-channel receiver, delivering 75 watts to each channel. Yamaha''s Digital ToP-ART Technology assures the purest circuits and transmission.

Submitted by dmore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit is the best that can be had for the price. I have been a audiophile for quite some time and have sold and worked with many brands of recievers and seperates over the years. I am a person who believes that performance for the money is a whole lot better than trying to buy the most expensive component just to get a slightly lower harmonic distortion rating that you would probably never hear in the real world anyway. When I sold AV gear Yamaha was the reciever of choice for us to use. Very good build quality. Probably the best amplifier section in the industry for under $1000 dollars. and the best dsp circuitry as well. When I started looking for an av reciever I first looked at the high end shops and their prices for their version of this reciever(the rx line) was alot higher priced and did not offer any more features or power. When I relised that the htr series was the same thing as the high end shops was selling just a different model to differenciate the high end people I instantly went for the htr 5560 for the sound quality, features and build quality yamaha is known for. I run paradigm monitor 7 speakers in my setup and I do use an Adcom power amp for my mains. But when I hooked up the yamaha to my mains just to see the difference between my power amp and the yamaha I was supprised. For all except the highest sound levels the yamaha performed almost on par with my $1000 Adcom power amp. Now a person with the perfect listening room and some high priced monitoring equipment could probably tell the difference but in the real world I was impressed by this unit holdng its own against an Adcom. I love the binding posts for every speaker on the back(hardly seen in this price range) and the fact that this unit has a 2 ohm power rating(means that the power transformer and stiffining capacitors are overbuilt for dynamics) for the price I could not have done better.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by 1badsc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great receiver, running 120watts per channel at 6ohms. Nice punch lots of head room. I reach reference level with a lot left over.

Purchased At:   Best buy

Submitted by JCOSU a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my opinioin, a tremendous AV receiver. I even use the DSPs! Clear, crisp sound. Plenty of various inputs (Component Video, S-Video, etc.) Price includes shipping.

Purchased At:   Shopsunshine.com

Submitted by thxmiker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for Features per $$$, then you have found the right receiver. The big advantage of this receiver is the number of digital inputs, and the audio ouputs if you wanted to use additional amplifiers or different amplifiers. The unit is VERY Easy to use, and was quite easy to manipulate through the DTS selection or the ES/EX selection.
Many receivers in this price range are extremely difficult to change the processing once in digital mode. This receiver has an auto button and does differentiate between ES/EX and DTS automatically. (Many very expensive processors do not do this!)

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by October a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the HTR 5560 when it came down in price to replace my "inadequate" Sherwood RVD-6090R that was purchased as a "home theatre in a box".

Equiptment:

Sherwood center and powered sub (soon to be replaced)
Cerwin Vega DX9s for front
Cerwin Vega LS10s for rear

The manual might as well be written in sanscrit and an in-depth exploration of your HTR5560 will require more trial and error than anything else and will probably leave you scratching your head with several unanswered questions (no way to force Matrix 6.1 or Dolby Digital? What REALLY is PCM, is it good or bad when it shows on the display? etc., etc.)

Surround sound is superb and the most of the DSPs are actually distinctive and useful. Stereo sound (2 channel) seems lacking in depth and vibrance, the bass appears muddy at high volumes and the mids and highs noticably "bright". Lack of remote bass and treble controls make subtle adjustments to 2 channel music even more of a problem.

Buy this unit as "entry level" or if stereo music at high volumes are not a requirement, especially if it is locally available (the main reason I bought it). If you can afford the extra $100 and don't mind mail order (such as myself) hold out for the Yamaha V1300 instead which has a much higher "bang for the buck" ratio as it is 110w x 6, has DTS:Neo6, a *learning* remote and several other features the HTR5560 is sorely lacking.

Purchased At:   Best Buy