Yamaha HTR-5440 A/V Receivers

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)

The HTR-5440 is a 5-channel receiver providing finest performance and processing available for music and video sound. The 5 channels are: Left/Right Main, Center, Left/Right Rear Effects. The receiver delivers Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel formats. Yamaha's Digital Sound Field Processing, Cinema DSP and Tri-Field Processing are all included as is Dolby Surround Pro Logic processing. The HTR-5440 also provides Silent Cinema and all channel stereo.

Submitted by tanvir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have this receiver for many years, hooked up with 7 Cambridge sound works and let me tell every time I play music or watch movies it gives me smile every time, I also have Boston accustics speakers that I hooked up once,, all I can say God damn!!

Submitted by mraudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'd have to say that this is the best receiver that I've had overall. I've had receivers from yamaha, pioneer, panasonic, aiwa, KLH, and technics. It has the plenty of power for me. I use 2 KLH 250 watts speakers and 2 pioneer bookshelf speakers. I never have to get the volume past the 10 o'clock position. Although I have a BBE sonic maximizer, equalizer, and mixer hooked up to it. The DSPs are okay but the newer yamaha receiver I used to have had better DSPs. For some they may think that they muddy the sound and for others it may sound better, but for me they do muddy the sound a little. They aren't that bad if you tweak them, meaning using an equalizer. This receiver wouldn't be for an audioholic unless you hook up all the stuff that I have on it (BBE, equalizer, and mixer). If you don't need really great DSPs, need power, need digital sound, and a home theater receiver this is for you. If you can get the receiver cheap then you should get it.

Submitted by Joseph Hernandez a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
As I describe this unit I am doing so with my Onkyo TX 535 SV as a reference. Overall, the Yamaha seems to be a smoother sounding unit, hence the name "natural sound". It is currently connected to a Sony CDP CX-53 CD Player, Wharfedale RB-23 main speakers, Wharfedale RB center channel, Infinity SM 6.5 rear speakers, and a JBL PSW-12 subwoofer. I also have Direct TV and a Toshiba SD-1600 DVD player.

I have compared this systems sold at local retailers and specialty shops. I have heard their systems ranging in price from a budget system of about $1000 to a theater that was developed for one of only two 12 channel systems in the world costing in excess of $500,000. (If anyone is ever in the San Antonio area you have to check it out at Bjorn's Audio Video. Trust me this is not an advertisement!)

Obviously, the Yamaha receiver is the heart of my system. The unit isn't very big and I was a little apprehensive of its power capabilities. But after installing and a little tweaking I was very surprised at its capabilities. The sound quality was awesome. I first listened to several cd's ranging from classical to Jennifer Lopez. Again I was struck by how detailed each instrument sounded. Compared to the Onkyo it was definitely apparant. After this I popped in Planet of the Apes on dvd. I intentionally did this to make a comparison with a $5,000 system I just heard at Bjorn's using Definitive speakers and a higher model Yamaha receiver. To my surprise, there wasn't any real noticeable difference except maybe their system did play a little louder on highs and mids only.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by jmarc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I shopped around, compared reviews in magazines/websites etc., and thought yamaha sounded like a good, well-built av receiver. In the $300 price range, this is about the best you can do, imo. I've got decent speakers, dvd player, tv, this was the final component to replace, the sound quality of my system meets my needs perfectly, and this yamaha 5440 does all I need it to do (and much more)

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by w-dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product because I wanted inexpensive quality sorround sound for movies. This unit delivers. It does not have 96/24 capability (the yamaha web site will tell you it does but the crutchfield rep set me straight before I bought this it does not have it). I do not think its lack of 96/24 capability hinders its performance yet. It has 65W of high current power which fills up my huge room (15'x20' with 16' vaulted ceiling). Easy to set up all the speakers sound levels etc. Lots of sound fields to choose from. No problem with heat. It does get warm but I keep it in a completely enclosed home entertainment center that has no air flow. It does not have S-video capability but this was not a concern for me. 5 years from now I will by a reciever with component video capability. Right now I wanted to spend my cash on my new baby that is coming and on decent (not cheap and not expensive) speakers. This baby delivers great bass and great highs. The Yamaha 5440 does the trick for me!!!my system:

tv: mitsubishi 55" HDTV
Reciever: Yamaha 5440 (65Wx5)
DVD: Sony nsp700

Speakers:
Front main: JBL N26ii
Center: JBL N-center
Rear sorround: JBL N24AW
Subwoofer: Yamaha yst 305 (dual 8" 200w)

Purchased At:   crutchfield