Yamaha HTR-5150 A/V Receivers

4.57/5 (112 Reviews)

Natural Sound AV Reciever. AC3 + DTS

Submitted by GeorgeB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
I am now giving this HTR-5150 ($20 on CL) unit to my college son for use in his apartment at college with the warning to treat it with great respect. His roommates (7 of them!) have speakers but no stereo. It has always performed flawlessly and has a great clear sound. Since I also have a Yamaha RX-V1, two Denon 3805's, and a Denon 3801 hooked up via distribution amplifier to a pc for living room this unit has been in garage storage. I also own Yamaha RX-V870 in bedroom, Yamaha R-V1105 in kitchen, a Pioneer VSX-9300 in home recording studio, and another Pioneer VSX-9300 in garage I figured it was time to share this fine receiver. I have more vintage speakers than any sane wife would allow but I'm a CL junkie for these fine products at low prices. My least liked receiver is the Yamaha RX-V1 although it is great for movies it never gets "all" speaker stereo right. I digress, the HTR-5150 is a well built musically sound receiver, don't hesitate to buy one on the cheap.

Submitted by khermes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review when I first purchased this product. It is acting up now so I'm writing another review. Sure, it's been a good recieve, but it's time for 6.1.

I already commented on the lack of inputs in my previous review, but now it is stuck on DTS mode ALWAYS! Therefore, I get no output unless I put in a DTS DVD. I tried to reset the receiver, but no luck. Well, it's time to upgrade anyway. I've read good things about Denon, so I think I'll go that route.

Submitted by mrh829 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver mainly for playing video games. I needed something with optical inputs for my Playstation 2, and this fit the bill. It certainly has more than enough power for my needs. I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Sure, there's better stuff out there, but I don't think it's possible to find anything better for under $200

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Rob Vickner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I first was going to buy the Outlaw 1050 with is $499 direct. Then I stumbled upon this beauty.. I got it at sears for $279 on a price match from www.moreaudiovideo.com.

What can I say about the reciever that hasn't already been said. There more then enough power for me, Its clean, manages the powered sub greatly.

I give it 5 stars. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Purchased At:   Sears - Price Match

Submitted by TheThrill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not a review as much as a question. I have a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable and am wondering what other posters might think of the phono stage on the HTR-5150. Would an outboard phono stage for a Goldring MM cartridge be in order or is the standard phono stage adequate? Otherwise I have been more than satisfied with this unit. Any opinions are appreciated.

Purchased At:   Sears