Yamaha HTR-5150 A/V Receivers

4.57/5 (111 Reviews)

Natural Sound AV Reciever. AC3 + DTS

Submitted by khermes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review when I first purchased this product. It is acting up now so I'm writing another review. Sure, it's been a good recieve, but it's time for 6.1.

I already commented on the lack of inputs in my previous review, but now it is stuck on DTS mode ALWAYS! Therefore, I get no output unless I put in a DTS DVD. I tried to reset the receiver, but no luck. Well, it's time to upgrade anyway. I've read good things about Denon, so I think I'll go that route.

Submitted by mrh829 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver mainly for playing video games. I needed something with optical inputs for my Playstation 2, and this fit the bill. It certainly has more than enough power for my needs. I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Sure, there's better stuff out there, but I don't think it's possible to find anything better for under $200

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Rob Vickner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I first was going to buy the Outlaw 1050 with is $499 direct. Then I stumbled upon this beauty.. I got it at sears for $279 on a price match from www.moreaudiovideo.com.

What can I say about the reciever that hasn't already been said. There more then enough power for me, Its clean, manages the powered sub greatly.

I give it 5 stars. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Purchased At:   Sears - Price Match

Submitted by TheThrill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not a review as much as a question. I have a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable and am wondering what other posters might think of the phono stage on the HTR-5150. Would an outboard phono stage for a Goldring MM cartridge be in order or is the standard phono stage adequate? Otherwise I have been more than satisfied with this unit. Any opinions are appreciated.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Russell a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
What good is the high quality sound and excellent features if it's going to shut down on you so often that it becomes incredibly annoying? I am a casual Listener and do not crank the volume even close to the ability of this unit, 1/2 volume is about max for me. Yet when it hits certain notes at 1/3 volume and sometimes less, it will shut down. If it wasn't for this one deficiency, I would rate this unit a five star all the way across the board. As it stands with the protection circuit, I can only give it a one star. Funny how one deficiency can ruin a good thing.
If anyone knows a way to overcome, correct, or bypass this circuit... Please let me know.

FGH 26: