Yamaha HTR-5740
Description: <ul> <li>6-Channel Receiver</li> <li>YSS-928 (32-bit) Chip</li> <li>Linear Damping Factor Circuit</li> <li>Surround Modes</li> <li>Cinema DSP</li> <li>Low Impedance Drive Circuitry</li> <li>Preouts and subwoofer Out with LPF (Low Pass Filter)</li> </ul>

Submitted by jbrown101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
This was my first surround sound receiver and it performed perfectly. After years of use, I replaced it with an HDMI capable receiver. This was an excellet receiver for the price and never had a single technical issue. Well made, as Yamaha receivers typically are. Good value.

Submitted by soundmandan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
I also purchesed my 5740 at BestBuy for $299.00, (they must have made a killing on these things)that was in 2003. It replaced a very tired carver (known as The Reciver). There is truly no comperison, the carver was $1200.00 in 1980. I have listend to alot of different music on it and it has been my home theator sound for the last 4 years.It powers two JBL D 38 (140W each) and two Yamaha NS 6490 (130W each) along with a 12" powered sub . my room is 16 x 24 it sounds pretty good watching a movie or listening to a cd. The tunner sucks.

Submitted by Arande2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
When I was at BestBuy about a year ago I ran across this receiver. Since my income isn't really that high I opted for this since it seemed like a good buy for the money. My last receiver was a Scott stereo receiver from 1972 so I would consider this a huge leap. When I first got it I figured that it would be a good leap since it was made 33 years later. Once I got it all hooked up I took a listen on my JBL 4311 control monitors from 1969. I took a listen on it in stereo and it sounded about the same as my old receiver until I cranked it up. then it wasn't hissing like old tube recievers from the 70's did, of course. The Scott was an 80-watt so this has a little bit more thump that that did. Since then I've gotten some Paradigm floorstanding surround speakers and JBL Northridge for the front. I now use the Jbls as center channels. When I turn the receiver up to +3 on 6 channel stereo with music that has a heavy beat like some remixes do you can feel the bass very much even without a subwoofer, but of course I have all floorstanding speakers running with this.

My favorite thing about the 5740 is that you can play around with all the modes. Movie, music, or game there's a mode for it. Very clear sound. I was dissapointed with the tuner quality of this model though. Most manufacturers these days tend to skimp out on the tuner part of the receive focusing on the other parts of the receiver like the amp and all those modes (cough cough). If you want good FM or AM reception you'll have to get a separate tuner. I hooked this one to an antenna in my attic and still can only pull in the strongest stations. My old Scott is now in my bedroom with some small bookshelf speakers and still pulls in all the main stations and more with the same antenna. Tube tuners rule, you know it!

People who should buy this receiver are people on a budget who want a clear sound and dont have have wimpy speakers. In fact, I would recommend you get two good mains than 7 cheap speakers including a subwoofer for the same price. Of course this receiver won't perform like those higher performance receivers from companies like Rotel or Marantz, but those are also like what, 10 times the cost? People who want loud should not buy this receiver unless you have speakers with sensitivity of at least 93. A guide to sensitivity would be that most HT speakers that you can get from places like BestBuy have a sensitivity of around 86 with you need over 4 times the power to get to the same volume with as 93.

Another thing is this receiver doesn't have the strongest power supply.
That means that if you play 6 channels it may be louder since you have more surface area, but your power supply can't provide as much power to each individual speakers. When you go into the direct stereo mode, the 5740 gives power to just the two front L and R speakers. This way you can turn it up louder and get more power out of your receiver on those two channels. Good if you want to see how loud you can get it before it starts clipping. I can run it at about +3 when everything is even in the speaker level menu. If you just want to watch movies this is a good receiver. If you're more a music fan you need larger speakers to make this receiver good for that. Otherwise get a better receiver.

The bottom line is if you want a lot of bang for your buck this receiver can supply it as long as your power doesn't dip much. If you have power dips I've found this receiver to be weaker in that area. When the power dips you lose max volume for a minute, but if you listen at lower levels (about -35 is an average level) then this receiver will be just fine.

Submitted by georgeb a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is my second Yamaha Tuner. I had a 5460 which developed a problem that made the output sound like it was under water. I bought the second as I had been happy with the sound. I bought my second Yamaha, an HTR-5740 last Spring. I figured that the statistical chance of having two tuners with quality problems would be greater than wining the lottery. Yesterday, I lost the all but 1 channel and the subwoffer. I haven't spent a lot of time to attempting to trouble shoot and/or fix. However, once I complete the troube shooting, I am planning to attempt to have this one repaired. One other note...I will never buy another Yamaha product at any price. I guess I should have played the lottery and bought a Pioneer.

Submitted by megabass a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I can't really understand the rave reviews for the Yamaha line. I admit the sound quality is great, but most of the DSP settings are a joke. Maybe a year after studying the vague manual which lacks any detail, I'll eventually figure out the true power of this Yamaha. Unlike most electronics, you MUST read the manual. In fact, you pretty much have to study it and memorize the terminology and nomenclature of the receiver before you even attempt to adjust any settings. Not intuitive at all as with my Sony and before that, Aiwa, where you can pretty much figure out everything by the buttons and trial and error. I'm sure lots of features will go unnoticed because I don't want to devote time to a study course on the Yamaha.
As for the sound, it is very clear - ideal for listening to jazz or any acoustic music. But where is the bass???! The manual says the low bass could be due to having your speaker wires crossed, but in my case, this isn't it. Maybe I have to re-read the manual again, but I've also read similar complaints about the lack of bass. BTW, I do not have a subwoofer (because I'm a considerate neighbor), but I was still able to get nice bass from my old receiver and speakers. So if you like the thump-thump, you will definitely need the subwoofer. Otherwise, it'll soud like very clear music from your portable radio.
I was also shocked that there wasn't a dedicated digital optical input for the CD player, but after reading the manual, there's one line in there that tells you how to re-assign the digital input labelled MD player to your CD player.