Toshiba XB2000 A/V Receivers

Submitted by Brent Hofstra a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
The Toshiba XB-2000 is a essentially the Pioneer VSX-D3S without the Orange Display.
My version has a white display but the controls are identical and so is the manual etc.
This particular model was one of the first Dolby Digital Models available to consumers when it debuted in 1994. I was fortunate enough to pick up this particular model for $60.00 shipped from ebay! Works very well 150 watts per channel x 5. Tuner on Fm is exceptional and am able to pick up stations all over the place and I live in a fairly mountainous area of Southern Arizona where FM can sometimes be a little spotty especially on DX signals.
Has a nicely engineered remote and on screen menus system that makes setting levels for surround sound a snap. But also it has the typical knobs for volume, bass and treble and super bass on the front panel which I like. I know most of you folks prefer knobs even on a modern receiver as do I. This thing is HEAVY probably weighs close to 40 pounds. The only negative that I have encountered with this unit thus far is that it has a cooling fan that constantly is on and I can't switch it off. On some really quiet passages I hear the fan which can get annoying at times.
Its not noticeable for most music but when you listen to a good deal of classical music that has very quiet passages or no sound at all between intervals it kind of grates on you. Overall a great piece of equipment for not a lot of coin. Like I said this was a used unit and I got a great deal.
Not too many people knew that this re badged Toshiba was actually a Pioneer under the skin so I lucked out. I believe the Pioneer unit originally retailed for over 1,000 Dollars US when new in 1994. If you adjust that for inflation that is a lot of money even today!

Atlantic Technology: