Technics SA-EX300 A/V Receivers

3.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $270.00

Dolby Pro-Logic Receiver

Submitted by Allan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my Mk 1 Technics SA-EX300 receiver new in 1997 when it first came on the NZ market, they came together with a dedicated 5 speaker kit. The Mk 1 was rated at 5 x 40 watts rms a channel and this Mk 1 model was equipped with a rear mounted cooling fan.The SA-EX300 was rated by the UK Hi Fi and Video magazine as the best buy budget Pro Logic amplifier with a 9/10 mark in it`s October 1996 issue. I run Kef C30 front speakers`, Kef C20 rear speakers` together with a Technics centre speaker and a Pioneer 100 watt sub woofer and still continue to be very impressed with the clean and very impressive sound stage that this budget amplifier still continues to produce. It`s a pity that the Technics amplifier brand name has been replaced by the Panasonic brand name these days`.

Submitted by cridaba88 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS RECEIVER! it meets all my needs and it can push out a lot more than 60 watts per channel im running 8 speakers on it and it is very loud! (PS: i does get hot so i mounted a computer fan on top of it and that keeps it very cool and running good! i got it for free cuz my neihbor was getting rid of it and he gave it to me for free!

Submitted by Sebastian Rogers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ok, at first I was extremely happy with the unit pumping out 60w of clear sound to my 55 hitachi stand alone speakers...
now all of a sudden im getting "overload" messages and the receiver keeps powering off, i decided to test something out so i put a house fan beside the unit and now it runs fine, technics in future should put PCB mount fans in the back of their receivers for the long hall of audio users.

Purchased At:   Through friend

Submitted by Tim Da PwnStar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this amp about a mounth ago to use with my computer, and is is a lot better than first thought. I'm currently running a pair of Warfedale Modus cubes passive sub and it seems to crank out the bass with power to spare. Dose what I want it to do even though the power specs seem to be not that high. Overall highly recommend it for a home cimima starter amp.

Purchased At:   Cash Converters

Submitted by Craig Furness a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Serving as my introduction to audio of any sort, I am most pleased with it. Since then, having used both Sony and Kenwood equipment, I am very happy with my purchase.

It ran nicely with 8ohm speakers (technics) and 6ohm speakers (sony) both on the mains. This leads me to conclude it does not appear to have problems with less than 8ohms on either channel.

Surround is a nice feature, however I find the surrounds to be very under-powered. Rear sound is washy, indistinct, and more of a distraction (this when watching a movie). It may well have been my surround speakers fault on quality, but the amp certainly under-powers them.

You can adjust the center and surrounds by a margin of +/- 12dB.

A good buy for its price, with a full featured remote catering for channel test, adjust channel volumes, CD controls, tuning, etc.

I never listen to radio, so I cannot comment on such features.

The amp must be quite robust as it has been dropped, and the only signs are a dent on the lowwer-left front corner of the amp, and a volume control which scratches (may be dust related).

If you are interested in not too loud sound, and experimenting with a 3-stereo mode, this amp is for you. I would not recommend buying it for its Pro Logic surround sound capabilities. You probably wont end up using this feature.

Purchased At:   Harvey Normans