Technics SA DX950 A/V Receivers

4.18/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $299.95

Today's multi-channel theater sound systems bring an unprecedented level of power, realism, and excitement to the film soundtracks you experience in movie theaters. And now, advancements in decoding technology have brought sophisticated multi-channel movie sound reproduction into the home. Technics home theater receivers offer a built-in Dolby Digital/ DTS decoder, high output power, and class H+ amp circuitry all features you'll find particularly exciting for high-performance playback on both movies and your favorite music.

Submitted by Dominic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2017

Bottom Line:
HI guys!

I'm new here and I just got an old (still good looking) SA-DX950 receiver with the remote control. I can't find any info/booklet online about the remote though.

I need a pdf or even a photo of the booklet content; it's labled EUR7702030
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards

Dominic

Submitted by Stan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
It has 0 hum or shhh.... on zero volume. Can be set on low impedace. I am listening in my bedroom low power stereo and sub. Also I tried it w klipsch VF-36, upgraded crossover , 2.8 Ohms impedance. Sound is absolutely clear. Better bass than new receivers. Powerful enough to drive those speakers. Sub output delivers clean bass as well if needed.
Good for the price, bought for $25.
Of course it does not have HD audio decoder like other older amps.

Submitted by Toni_LI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
ok

Submitted by tryn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
Well for what I paid I guess I did ok. Now that I've had this reciever for a while though I can truely say, "I think its total junk." How can you guys write "Plenty of power"? 500 watts? HA. I have a set of cheap $100 Altec Lansing computer speakers that will easilly give this thing a run for the money. The RMS on those Altec Lansing (Mod # 251, 5.1 surrounds)??? 90 freakin watts. Whats wrong with that picture? If I had a slightly more powerful sub on those it would beat the snot outta the SA-DX950.

OK, whats my overall set-up? I have a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-150's for mains, JBL N-Center, and a pair of JBL S-38's for rears. I also have a Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub. Lets face it, if I didn't run the sub, the power protection circuit would trip in minutes. Am I the only one with this piece of junk that enjoys loud music from time to time? I don't think I've made it over an hour or so without tripping the protection circuit, and thats now, after I know I have to back off a bit.

Its hard to even think of the features when I can't even get past its poor power handling capablities.

Looking at the options, sound modes etc., thier not bad at all for the money. The remote and layout of the reciever itself could have been thought out better but the only thing that stands out as a bad option is the inability to adjust the sound fields (ie. center, left, right surrounds) without the use of the remote.

The sound reproduction from this model is actually quite good. Movies and music alike sound really good. I find I still preffer stereo for music and my only other complaint would have to be; when you connect to a tv or cable box through an optical cable, you lose the sub all together when going into stereo mode. Thats incredibly annoying when your watching a good music video or something.

Its my opinion that this product is intended for cheap entertainment and geared towards... audio newbees, children, the elderly and people who dont care "Just how loud it goes".

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by TheTooleMan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great A/V receiver, and an excellent buy. Not too heavy with bells and whistles, and those that are provided are not the best ones on the market. I've been using it for over two years with no performance failures. Plenty of power, and plenty of bass with good, well-positioned speakers.

The remote, however, sucks. I have never seen a more poorly laid-out button pad. The DVD controls lack a pause button, and the lightweight feel screams "cheap."

The five built-in DSP settings are not outstanding. They provide an effect, but "theater" makes dialog hard to understand, and "sim surround" just gets loud and confusing. The "hall" and "live" settings are ok on music, though.

One characteristic I question is the lack of control over the audio when using the optical cable input. There is no control on bass and treble when in digital signal mode. Also, the DSP functions only work on an analog signal, so what comes from your DVD player via optical cable is what you get through the system.

Purchased At:   J & R Audio