Technics SA-DA8N A/V Receivers

4.36/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

DVD Audio Ready/Home Theater Multi-Channel Receiver, gold color

Submitted by stony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
All round Great Performer, Natural Clean Easy Listening Sound that is not overdone, I run it with a Sony DVD700S SACD Player with Monster cabling, so is making the Reciever produce the best sound it can do, which is amazing for the price, definately matches 2 channel amps of around 3/4 of the price, which is rare.

Purchased At:   Stereo World

Submitted by jang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this one to replace an integrated stereo amplifier, because I wanted an upgrade to a home cinema system. Reviews were quite enthousiastic about this component and the price looked OK. As to home cinema, it's all right, as far as action movies and their likes. I'm not that happy with two channel reproduction, probably because it was preceeded by a Rotel amp (RA840). There's power enough, but I miss musicality and definition at low levels. Somehow it doesn't sound attractive, dull. What I cannot understand is how Technics can deliver a receiver with DVD connection and forget this source on the remote control. I know everyone complains about the remote, but not being able to select a source is strange and unpractical.

Submitted by KEITH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wanted to update my review after owning this receiver for almost a year.As stated earlier I bought this receiver for a spare and had not,until recently,used it for DD playback.Wired the receiver to my friends Klipsch HT system using a cheap DVD player with no built-in decoders. After an hour of cussin'and manual reading finally thought that DTS & bitstream hadn't been turned on in DVD player.BOOM! The receiver sounds great.Amazing power and good sound.Previously had used this receiver only for occasional 2-channel stereo listening at home and was impressed by the sound of the receiver,and I was equally impressed with its DTD/DD performance.For the price I paid for the piece it is an impossible bargain to match.I therefore recommend it highly.

Purchased At:   U-BID

Submitted by jkraeck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for about 9 months and could not be happier with the performance. I don't think I could have done better for 3 times the price.

I use it 95% for music, 5% HT. The bi-wire capability and VGCA provide amazingly clean sound. I am downmixing AC-3/DTS to two channels, and have felt no compelling need to add center and surround speakers, though I will eventually. Dialog is always firmly centered, soundtrack and effects sound clear. I can't ask for more, especially at the price paid.

Heat is not the problem everyone makes out. The fan comes on between 9 and 10 o'clock position, depending on bass output, and cools things down. I have the receiver on a shelf with good space to either side, and back but only 3/4" on the top. Many days it runs 4-6 hours, and has never gotten so hot that it could not be touched, though it does warm the shelf above. Get real, things with output measured in watts (like lightbulbs) put out heat.

If you can find one of these, or this year's model, the SA-DA15, do not hesitate to purchase it.

Purchased At:   J & R

Submitted by sballs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
From a "bang for your buck" perspective, there is really no receiver that comes remotely close (in this price range at least). This receiver excels in surround sound formats (if you can, demo this unit with star wars episode 1 and you'll see what I'm talking about) I plan on upgrading very shortly, but am excited to move this baby into my bedroom for movie only use. For music, I would look elsewhere though. Not that it's all that bad, it just nowhere near what you can get from quality seperates. I find it has a bit to much backround noise and can't handle the power output that my speakers require (technics says it rated 100 wpc, but that's in 6 ohm loads. Try more like 75 wpc). Then again, what can expect for $200. I would have liked to see pre-outs for an external amp. I did however see a remarkable inprovement when I bi-wired my speakers using both the A and B outputs (which I guess also could be considered bi-amped, albiet a less then ideal bi-amp setup) and would highly recommend it to anyone with compatible speakers. Net net, this will be a great budget receiver for anyone interested in both HT and stereo playback, but if you are only intered in 2 channel audio, look elsewhere. Oh, regarding the heat, I would recommend using this unit in an open air rack. I also have a small external fan cooling it aswell, although I'm not sure it's needed (better safe than sorry)

Purchased At:   J&R