Technics SA-AX920 A/V Receivers

3.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

100Wx6 Dolby Digital Ready

Submitted by Jaime Espinosa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
necesito un receptor

Submitted by Fred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I must admit that this is not audiophile component. However, it serves as a basic entry level to the world of dolby digital. Paired with the right speakers that are efficient and omnidirectional (or bipolar), the effect is simply magical and amazing.
For this review, I initially matched the receiver with a Coincident floorstanding conquest speakers, a simple Infinity center channel speaker (capable of about 60Hz to 18kHz), and pair of Bose monitor speakers (usually used for outside the house). The listening room is a basement of approxiately 40 feet by 20 feet.
I found that the sonic qualities are not special. There was "proper" imaging with the illusion of movement sounds (e.g. when involving scenes that depict movement of cars etc) that go right to left or left to right but not much of the back going front (e.g. airplanes flying above you...) -- something which conventional stereo does. However, when trying to reproduce the illusion of movement from back speaker left to front speaker right (e.g. an airplane flying from back left to front right). I think the speakers that I was using for surround were inadequate.
So, first, I ordered the Definitive Technology PF15TL subwoofer. Then, I hooked in parallel connection with each of the surround speakers, a pair of old AR2ax's that I have. Next, I got my pair of Definitive Technology BP-10 bipolar speakers as the front speakers. When I have this configuration, NOW we are talking home theater.... First, because of the bipolar nature of the Def Tech BP-10 speakers, the sound is enveloping -- and this is achieved also by the fact that the larger speakers that I used at the back are now more ear level. Second, with the active subwoofer, practically all the frequencies are reproduced.
Now is also the time to play with the various sonic settings. The Club is the best. If you have been in various bars/clubs in a big city, you can create that effect here -- of course, with tremendous help from the subwoofer. The theater has more sonic output from the front speakers and echoes from the back. Live is quite the same though the delay of the surrounds is not much -- somewhat trying to mimic an intimate live concert setting.
I am not much fan of transistor solid state electronics when it comes to music, especially when listening to classical and jazz. But for the purposes of general listening where one finds a pleasure in recreating settings from where these types of music are found, this is a good gadget to tinker with and have fun in the process.
The lessons are: (a) find proper speakers -- at least bipolar and should be efficient!!! (DT BP-10's are 91db efficiency rated), (b) the subwoofer is a must and should be powerful and had home theater as a design purpose (The DT PF15TL is 325 watts with 15 inch cone), (c) the surround speakers, though recommended by most audio magazines to be above listening level, might be better of at ear level. To get the proper home theater surround effect from this amp, one needs to be meticulous with the choice of speakers AND the proper placement of it. In other words, don't let the Best Buy salesclerk convince you that their speakers are enough. Take time to audition the speakers that would be matched with this amp. AND you will find out that the speaker system that you will find adequate for this amp will really cost more than the amp itself.
But hey, at least I not spend 3,000 to 4,000 dollars for that expensive Lexicon (sans amp and speakers)!

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I used this product since a year and i notice lot of distorsioin on my rear speaker and a noisy fm sound at high volume , the remote was just bad. I hate this product.

Submitted by Gootch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for a home theatre system for quite a while, and was looking for a decent receiver to start building my home theatre. A friend of mine had purchased a pioneer vsx405 which proved to be a good mid-ranged receiver, so I also went for a pioneer, but a higher model. After having to go back and exchange the pionner 2 times due to a distortion problem, I bought this technics. For the price its features are; such as the ability to hook up 4ohm speakers, a built-in sub amp, digital inputs, loudness switch, and 150 tested watts per 6 channels. These features had convinced me to buy this product, and I mated it to a pair of 12" pioneer speakers, and a 10" sub. After a year or so of owning this receiver, I have no complaints. It delivers flawless power, incredible bass brilliant highs and has had no problems. I am looking into adding DD to my system, and looking forward to that. It is a great value, and a great buy, if what you're looking for is versatility and power, it is the way to go, it won't dissapoint.

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 920 mail order for $319. It is a nice entry level receiver. I am running PSB Alpha's all the way around. The alphas are rated at 6ohms which creates minor distortion in the rear when running in surround mode. I like the power and passive sub outs with the sub volume control on the front of the receiver. I give it four stars because the remote must be aimed directly at the receiver and has trouble going through my glass cabinet.

Atlantic Technology: