Technics SA-AX7 A/V Receivers

4.56/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

5.1 ready receiver

Submitted by padobranac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
Great 'vintage' amp which leaves a great impression on me. Still using it as my main home theater as well as stereo system since 2000. and haven't experienced any problems at all. This unit still doing it's job as well as 14 years ago. All these years have connected pair of bi-amp T200 speakers from same era + 3 sattelites CSS250 and the sound is still rich and clear. Regarding to amp quality and despite of lack of HDMI connection (but who cares), the main highlight is definitely 6-ch descrete analog input which gives the possibility to connect any of modern blu-ray players with internal DAC and analog outputs (like oppo or bd390).
Since the amp is capable of handling encoded lossless sound, right before expansion of all those modern lossless formats I enjoyed the lossless sound of dvd-audio discs from my panasonic dvd-audio/video player connected to amp's 6-ch analog input. So, this unit still offers very reliable and fairly loud sound clarity of modern lossless audio formats like TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Great solution for those owners who still won't give up from this decent peace of amp.

Submitted by phileserver39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty decent amp. I have mostly used it for 2 channel listening with my home studio. Currently I am driving a pair of Infinity SS2005 speakers and I am satisfied. This amp does run pretty hot. At 30% volume it is almost too hot to touch the top vent. The bi-amp feature is great if I ever get biampable speakers. Also, should I ever get a passive sub this unit has a separate sub amp. Also, the VGCA mode sound great.

Submitted by stanksley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great receiver for the money. VCGA cuts out significant noise (.05% THD at full power in VCGA mode). Bi-Amp gives a dramatic improvment when connected correctly (I'm using Infinity Alpha 50 speakers). Lots of reserve power (100W X 6 channels @ 6 ohms) if you use it for home theater, though I haven't use it for this yet. Sub amplifier is nice, passive subs are cheaper. But 100W @ 6ohms isn't very much power either. I have a Technics passive sub, but it sounds so bad I only use it at very low levels. I would reccomend just getting a powered sub if you're a serious audiophile, the receiver has a sub pre-amp out put for this. Overall I'm very happy with this receiver, I will proably keep it as I try and make it the centerpiece of a mid-fi hometheater system.

Purchased At:   REX

Submitted by jonascap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the Technics SA-AX7 with the digital decoder, it is truly a beautiful piece of technology. I have a JVC a/v 662v reciever which to me sounds better for plain stereo use (CD's, etc.), but does not compare to the AX7's surround capabilities. I strongly recomend this unit to anyone looking for an exceptional sound from dts or dolby digital sources. I unlike some other reviewers bought the decoder and reciever together and have one remote that controls both, this remote is both easy to use and attractive.
Note that if you own this unit place the decoder below the reciever or for that matter anywhere except on top of the reciever, this unit does heat up and needs proper ventilation, your decoder does not like to be treated to the hot air the reciever produces. (pictures of this unit with the decoder often have the decoder on top, people responsible for this mishap should loose their jobs)

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by Jon Beam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the receiver i got it for my birthday from my father because i had a shelf system and was wanting to upgrade.because i had front cerwinv vega front chanels and jbl center and rear

Award-Winning Axiom: