Technics SA-AX7 A/V Receivers

4.55/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

5.1 ready receiver

Submitted by phileserver39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty decent amp. I have mostly used it for 2 channel listening with my home studio. Currently I am driving a pair of Infinity SS2005 speakers and I am satisfied. This amp does run pretty hot. At 30% volume it is almost too hot to touch the top vent. The bi-amp feature is great if I ever get biampable speakers. Also, should I ever get a passive sub this unit has a separate sub amp. Also, the VGCA mode sound great.

Submitted by stanksley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great receiver for the money. VCGA cuts out significant noise (.05% THD at full power in VCGA mode). Bi-Amp gives a dramatic improvment when connected correctly (I'm using Infinity Alpha 50 speakers). Lots of reserve power (100W X 6 channels @ 6 ohms) if you use it for home theater, though I haven't use it for this yet. Sub amplifier is nice, passive subs are cheaper. But 100W @ 6ohms isn't very much power either. I have a Technics passive sub, but it sounds so bad I only use it at very low levels. I would reccomend just getting a powered sub if you're a serious audiophile, the receiver has a sub pre-amp out put for this. Overall I'm very happy with this receiver, I will proably keep it as I try and make it the centerpiece of a mid-fi hometheater system.

Purchased At:   REX

Submitted by jonascap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the Technics SA-AX7 with the digital decoder, it is truly a beautiful piece of technology. I have a JVC a/v 662v reciever which to me sounds better for plain stereo use (CD's, etc.), but does not compare to the AX7's surround capabilities. I strongly recomend this unit to anyone looking for an exceptional sound from dts or dolby digital sources. I unlike some other reviewers bought the decoder and reciever together and have one remote that controls both, this remote is both easy to use and attractive.
Note that if you own this unit place the decoder below the reciever or for that matter anywhere except on top of the reciever, this unit does heat up and needs proper ventilation, your decoder does not like to be treated to the hot air the reciever produces. (pictures of this unit with the decoder often have the decoder on top, people responsible for this mishap should loose their jobs)

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by Jon Beam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the receiver i got it for my birthday from my father because i had a shelf system and was wanting to upgrade.because i had front cerwinv vega front chanels and jbl center and rear

Submitted by Caleb77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned only Technics or Panasonic products. My first receiver was a saex100 purchased in 1996 at a rex store. A couple years later it was a surround receiver saax120 which really was to noisy. But then one day I was walking through American TV and saw the saax7 and had to have it. The thing that struck me is the Technics brand is the only brand that I know of that has incorperated an amplifier into their receivers to drive a passive sub. Driving a passive sub is ideal to me and much cheaper and this receiver does it real well. I put a 12in woofer into a ported car sub box and it blows away all of the cheap under 500 dollar powered subs out there. I paid 100dollars total for the box and woofer.

Purchased At:   American TV Rockford