Technics SA-AX6 A/V Receivers

Submitted by sal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
Ive bought this receiver when circuit city was still around and had layaway. I was still in high school. Then I came to make a payment and the price had droppped to 199.99. Brought it home that night. Have enjoyed it ever since. Loved the fact that it could power a sub. I ended up overloading it at some point and blew out the surround sound and 3 stereo option. Could only listen in stereo for the longest time. Then I finally had the money and speakers warrant a surround sound set up and had the receiver fixed. Also bought the Technics dts/dolby digital processor on ebay for a low price. Have been enjoying digital surround for a few years. Its true that you hear the hiss at low volumes and it is fairly quiet at low volumes. When you crank it up, it can play really loud, but then it will start to distort or clip fairly quickly. My sister and nephew always enjoy watching movies with this receiver because it shakes the ground and plays loud. Highly recommended!!

Submitted by unies a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
well what can i say im currently using a sony tru hd av amp using hdmi leads to decode the sound ..
i have used technics av products in the past and i saw this model in a local shop 2nd hand being me i grabbed it instantly made a purchase i knew instantly this was going to be a hit of an amp ...in comparision to sound quality the technics sa-ax6outclasses in all the ways and delivers a experience like no other ,having wanting to try the sound i painstakingly i used 6 multichannel leads i have connected it to my blu ray player panasonic bd85 ,it is capable of decoding it into tru hhd via the phono leads ,and the subwoofer level control dial on the technics really punches bass right through your lungs ,im currently using a paradigm ps1000 sw ,noticably the sony lacks the power to deliver the goods ...str d800..av amp ,any comments wellcome ....
and i aint letting it go that easily

Submitted by oliver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Por que no una revision en español. Acerca del hiss que todos comentan, si es cierto si se escucha pero es casi imperceptible hay que acercar la oreja, pero vaya si esta ahi, De que funciona caliente, tambien es cierto vamos a ver cuanto me dura aca en Mexico. De que a bajos volumenes no se escucha tan bien , no se mucho pero a lo mejor le falta loudness. pero vaya a alto volumen o vaya no tan alto digamos 1/3 y de ahi en adelante si se escucha bastante bien. Sobre todo con ese control del subwwofer que trae, a mi la verdad no me decepciono,todo lo contrario.. Los teatros a quien le sirven bueno a mi no mi Ipod trae un monton. La luz azul bien chingona (perdon).

Submitted by Cory a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Technics SA AX-6 is by far the best home theater receiver I had ever owned. It ended up getting stolen from my home, and well, I miss it dearly. I have spent the past 10 or so years trying to find something else that would replace it and I have had no luck. I only wish that I could buy another.

Submitted by jmoberley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wanted one of these recievers based on experience using one that a friend previously owned. I managed to get the high bid on one at eBay. When I got the unit, I immediately started having problems with it overloading and not turning the speaker outputs on, and when it did run, it ran very hot at low volumes. I tinkered with the unit and traced the problems to a cold solder joint on the -14v regulator. I resoldered the joint and my overload and turn-on problems were gone. The cooling system is horribly engineered, the fan turns on when the output reaches a certain level. I bridged the transistor on the fan and installed a temperature senesitive one that turns on when the unit turns on and varies with the TEMPERATURE and not the volume. The unit runs cool an any volume now. I am NOW very satisfied with the unit, but I can't say the same about the stock one. The power output is decent, it sounds alot better than my Sony STR-D350z, which had discrete output stages.

Purchased At:   eBay