Technics SA-AX6 A/V Receivers

3.98/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Submitted by unies a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
well what can i say im currently using a sony tru hd av amp using hdmi leads to decode the sound ..
i have used technics av products in the past and i saw this model in a local shop 2nd hand being me i grabbed it instantly made a purchase i knew instantly this was going to be a hit of an amp ...in comparision to sound quality the technics sa-ax6outclasses in all the ways and delivers a experience like no other ,having wanting to try the sound i painstakingly i used 6 multichannel leads i have connected it to my blu ray player panasonic bd85 ,it is capable of decoding it into tru hhd via the phono leads ,and the subwoofer level control dial on the technics really punches bass right through your lungs ,im currently using a paradigm ps1000 sw ,noticably the sony lacks the power to deliver the goods ...str d800..av amp ,any comments wellcome ....
and i aint letting it go that easily

Submitted by oliver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Por que no una revision en español. Acerca del hiss que todos comentan, si es cierto si se escucha pero es casi imperceptible hay que acercar la oreja, pero vaya si esta ahi, De que funciona caliente, tambien es cierto vamos a ver cuanto me dura aca en Mexico. De que a bajos volumenes no se escucha tan bien , no se mucho pero a lo mejor le falta loudness. pero vaya a alto volumen o vaya no tan alto digamos 1/3 y de ahi en adelante si se escucha bastante bien. Sobre todo con ese control del subwwofer que trae, a mi la verdad no me decepciono,todo lo contrario.. Los teatros a quien le sirven bueno a mi no mi Ipod trae un monton. La luz azul bien chingona (perdon).

Submitted by Cory a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Technics SA AX-6 is by far the best home theater receiver I had ever owned. It ended up getting stolen from my home, and well, I miss it dearly. I have spent the past 10 or so years trying to find something else that would replace it and I have had no luck. I only wish that I could buy another.

Submitted by jmoberley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wanted one of these recievers based on experience using one that a friend previously owned. I managed to get the high bid on one at eBay. When I got the unit, I immediately started having problems with it overloading and not turning the speaker outputs on, and when it did run, it ran very hot at low volumes. I tinkered with the unit and traced the problems to a cold solder joint on the -14v regulator. I resoldered the joint and my overload and turn-on problems were gone. The cooling system is horribly engineered, the fan turns on when the output reaches a certain level. I bridged the transistor on the fan and installed a temperature senesitive one that turns on when the unit turns on and varies with the TEMPERATURE and not the volume. The unit runs cool an any volume now. I am NOW very satisfied with the unit, but I can't say the same about the stock one. The power output is decent, it sounds alot better than my Sony STR-D350z, which had discrete output stages.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by JH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This unit is made for the listener who wants their music LOUD. It is inefficient at low volume levels; creating mostly heat and less quality sound. But, once the volume is up where it should be, the cooling fan kicks in and the unit performs well. Although it is rated at 100 watts/channel, I would doubt it is anywhere near that high. It likely puts out around 75 - the highs become slightly muffled at higher volumes.

This unit has a ton of features for the money - what sets it apart is that it has the ability to run 2 sets of full sized speakers (switched as A and B), or, you can run a 5.1 surround setup...it has outputs for both - a feature many of the newest, high end units cannot match.

Inputs-wise, it has everything you will need with the exception of digitial. It was one of the transition recievers when digital was just emerging. Thus, no digital, but it does support S-Video, which is nice.

Atlantic Technology :