Sony STR-DH520 7.1 Channels A/V Receivers

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Sony serves up the power for your home theater hub with the STRDH520 7.1-channel home receiver. With 100W per channel, youll be able to easily power your full home surround system, and 6 HD inputs (4 HDMI and 2 component video), youve got everything you need for all your favorite components. 3D video pass-through and a cable-saving audio return channel finish off this versatile entertainment hub. home theater receiver 7-channel amplifier; 90 watts per channel with 2 channels driven,4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output,Dolby TrueHD, Pro logic IIz, DTS-HD(tm) Product Features: THX Certification: No; Number of Channels: 7.1 Channels; Surround Sound: DTS 96/24, DTS ES®, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-HD, DTS®, Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), Dolby Digital® EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby TrueHD; Type: Receiver; Surround Mode Power: 100 Watt @ 8 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 1%; Stereo Mode Power: 100 Watt @ 8 ohm, 1 kHz; Broadcast Format Supported: 1080p (1125p); Special Features: HD Radio Tuner; Rear Input Connectors: Analog Audio x 2, Composite (Video) x 2, Digital Coaxial x 1, Digital Optical x 2, HDMI x 4; Rear Output Connectors: Analog Audio x 1, Composite (Video) x 1; Tuner Presets: 60 Channels; Remote Control Type: Standard; Depth: 12.68 in.; Height: 6.2 in.; Width: 16.93 in.; Weight: 16.76 lb.; Power Consumption: 240 Watt

Submitted by trisweb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had this receiver for one day before deciding to return it, sadly. I thought I could get away with a decent amp with HDMI switching for a decently cheap price, but I neglected to think about audio quality. I sort of assumed it would be adequate for my needs.

I guess I'm more picky than I thought. I hooked this amp up to my ADS L520's and was stunned at how average it made them sound, and this comparing them to my puny Sonic Impact T-Amp that I was using as a temporary hold-over. Treble was muddled, bass was inconsistent and also muddled, mids were just not clear sounding. But then, this is what you get for around $150 new -- what did I expect?

For those looking for a decent home theater system for smaller cheap speakers, I can recommend this as a decent quality receiver. One flaw is that the HDMI ports do not send audio to the receiver - you need a separate audio input for that, either from the TV or from each HDMI device. Not terribly useful - essentially you have an HDMI switch that happens to be tacked on to your receiver.

However, if you have good speakers and good ears, save yourself the trouble of learning the lesson I did - that the amp is as important as the speakers, if not more so. I will be getting a higher-level Yamaha receiver used, or perhaps a simple AudioSource dedicated amplifier, to replace this for around the same price.

Until then, I will continue to use the T-amp. If anything this has opened my ears to how impressive that little plastic toy really is...

Product model year:   2008