Sony STR-DE945 A/V Receivers

4.39/5 (132 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Dolby Digital/DTS receiver

Submitted by eidahoe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Bought ths off of craigslist ,and have a cd player hooked up and a coupleof DLK 1 1/2 s .Sounds good but my led on the screen is out.It use to light up and show what Im doing ,phono ....cd.....The Current..... ,now nothing. Does anybody know how to fix that ? I dont want to bring it in anywhere as they will charge me as much as a new used eceiver would be. I got a SLEDGE close by . That doesnt always fix things for me ,but it makes them go away !!! Any " Tech Support " would be awesome !!!
Thanks , Dave

Submitted by Dr_Deeds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver with the sole purpose of using it for surround sound and I'm more than pleased with the performance. Lots of power and clear sound. I'm using PSB Stratus speakers. The tower speakers are PSB Stratus Silvers (didn't want the golds cause I wasn't interested in bi-amping the speakers. I understand some do not like the remote, but all my components are Sony and I find I just select whichever component and the remote does everything with ease. Not sure why the remote is getting dissed cause I put my other remotes away and just use this one and I like it very much cause no clutter.

Submitted by budda bob harris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit to enjoy Dolby digital sound from my DVD player,had a Pro-logic set up prior. For the first 8 or 9 months I was not too happy mainly due to the remote. Not very user friendly esp. if your gear isnt mostly Sony. Dim remote display, necessity to scroll too much etc. It does have a VERY extensive array of sound fields and the ability to set up speaker equalization and levels. The newer Sony receivers have fewer options in this area, even the Sony ES units.
I rarely get the volume past 12 o'clock and have had NO problems. I guess my new Sony touch screen remote took care of the remote issues so all in all I am plesed with my units performance. It dosent have long to go in the living room as I plan to buy a 7.1 receiver soon, prob. a Yamaha or Pioneer Elite

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I performed some work for a local pawn shop and as is our usual arrangement I was offered either mechandise or cash for the work. The shop had a Sony STR-DE945 on the shelf listed for $150. I chose that. The remote for it is missing but most all the features are available from the front panel, and I can change the input and volume from my TV's universal remote control. This reciever replaced my Denon AVR-3300 which recently gave up the ghost after I unkowningly had the right channel speaker wire shorted for god knows how long. At first I was rather surprised at the build quality of the unit. It seemed sturdy enough and has good ventalation. 4 digital inputs is enough for me, and the front mounted A/V input is another good bonus. Apparently the unit is rated for 110wpc RMS. That figure seems ambitious so far. I would say it is more likely an honest 75 or 80 wpc. I do not fault Sony about this method of measuring power, as every other more popular mass-market brand (Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood, JVC) seem to be doing it too. The unit memorizes the EQ and Surround settings for each input which is a nice touch, and the tone controls are, to say the least, thorough. In terms of sound my old Denon had a more mellow, almost tube-like quality compared to the Sony. The Sony seems easily muddled and at times muddy at intermediate volumes, but better at lower and higher volumes. Perhaps I just need to set the EQ a little better. This unit also seems to have a fairly good OSD system, which I have only been able to activate in demonstration mode; apparently the remote is necessary to activate the OSD. The user guide is just the bare essentials: It lacks the depth and details of the features to make proper use of those features. 3-way binding posts for the main left and right speaker terminals are a nice, higher-end touch, but it seems it is mostly for looks. The more common spring-terminals for the rear and center channel speakers could have been replaced by binding posts if a little more thought went in to the design. The binding posts are spaced too far apart to use dual bananna jacks, which for me necessitaed buying a new set of single bananna jacks. S-Video capabiliy with more than a single S-Video input is another nice feature, as while my TV has two s-video inputs, I have 3 s-video devices. One feature that would have been nice is component video switching. My Denon reciever had it, and although I currently have only 1 device that can take advantage of it, it would have been a nice bonus none the less. My main HT system has been significantly downsized recently due to the majority of the equipment being sold off to fund a small recording studio I am building behind my home.

My current setup is as follows:
TV - Zenith/Inteq 36" HDTV
L/R Main - Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 Anneversary Edition
Center - Klipsch RC3
Rear - Wharfedale Valdus 200 SE
Sub - home made dual 8"/dual 10", 300 watt

For that particular setup it works very well. The 2nd audio our/room 2 system is a very nice little bonus that my "Big" Denon (AVR-5800) has. The AVR-5800 now performs duty as a monitor amp in the studio. Once I get the remote (I am currently bidding on one on ebay) I am sure it will only get better, as I can then adjust the tone settings among others from my listing posistion. My only real complaints about the reciever are the poor manual and the annoying blue light that comes on when it recieves a digital signal. If it were brand new and selling at the retail price of $550, I would probably hagle on the price just a little, but end up buying it in the end. And having got it for a illte more than an hour's work, well, that is the base definition of a good value. Now only if I could get a remote for it the same way...

Purchased At:   C&S Pawn

Submitted by guywithblackf150 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver as a replacement for my JVC RX-8000V for a couple reasons: all of my other current equipment was Sony, and I was looking at this receiver when I purchased the JVC. Also, I have never had a single problem with Sony's brand of home A/V equipment. And this receiver is no exception. (The last CD player I bought from Sony was 7 years old when I replaced it, and it still works like new. I wanted some digital outputs when I upgraded to the JVC.) I was completely taken back right after my speakers and DVD player were hooked up.

I should mention that I bought the STR-DE945 on a whim for the reasons mentioned above as an 'open box' sale.

As soon as I popped in Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and cranked "Smells like teen spirit," I knew this machine was awesome. It took my breath away. The power this receiver puts out is unbelievable. I have not turned it up past the 10 'O clock mark yet. I am running a pair of Cerwin-Vega RE-25's as my mains, and the music sounded pristine. It was better than the JVC ever sounded, and none of the settings were even adjusted yet!! The bass and treble were perfect after slightly adjusting them using the front panel. (There was no remote available with the unit.) I have a programmable Sony Learning remote, so that will solve that problem. Also, I downloaded a copy of the receiver's manual online.

After enjoying a test CD, I put in 'The Matrix' to set up the surround parameters. All I can say is that this receiver is the single best piece of equipment I think I have ever owned. Amazing machine.

There is a large amount of options and sounds fields to mess around with....more than enough to keep even audiophiles occupied for quite some time! Far better than I imagined, too. The sound fields are incredible when watching movies. Another plus about the DE945 is that I was finally able to use banana plugs for my front mains. Huge difference!

Bottom line: if you are looking for a great receiver at a great price that puts out big, clear, (seriously) and great sound, then look no further. This receiver will not disappoint.

Purchased At:   The XChange