Sony STR-DE925 A/V Receivers

4.03/5 (58 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

DD/DTS receiver - 110 watts per channel x5 - 8 ohm/4 ohm switch

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this Sony STR-DE925 at a yard sale. It is replacing an older 2 channel unit (quite old) that has no subwoofer input. I have a pair of Paradigm Atom speakers and their PDR10 subwoofer [a so called 2.1 system] and using it with the old receiver wasn't impossible at all, but it wasn't very convenient. This Sony receiver had what I needed. After hooking things up, problem solved. I no longer have to run speaker wire from the receiver to the subwoofer and then to the "satellites". Instead, I just run the Atom speakers directly off the receiver's speaker connections and the PDR10 subwoofer off the receivers RCA subwoofer out. Further more _ as is the case with nearly all av receivers _ I could adjust all levels and crossover settings to my liking. The system sounds much better than it ever did. This receiver has lots of features and adjustability _ more than I'm likely to use. This one also has a dedicated phono input where the turntable goes [if you still play LPs]. This receiver is noticeably better in sound, hook up options, tuner performance. The STR - DE925 does require you to adjust many things manually. That may sound like an annoyance, but it puts you in control of what you want it to do. Speaking of which, do most of your adjustments at the receiver instead of the remote. The remote is somewhat limited which is pretty true of many av components. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this receiver because it solved my problem.

Submitted by rodney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
i have had this model for years but for me it has a lot of good ( great) features. i have a two otlet sub-woofer most new one's have one ac-3 i have not heard the word since i purchased mine it is a great rec ( did i say great) i purchased a new one (str 925 water dam fixable i hope) but lacking in features

Submitted by John Delta a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Beautiful unit. Great inputs and outputs, nice to have the digital in. I've been using it for years. Great, big, clear sound.

Submitted by johns2use a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased the sony str de925 at sears. It was the demo so i got a good price for a new/used item. I have used this off and on for the past 10 years. It has always performed flawlessly. I just hooked it up in my new apartment again. Since all of my other components are also sony it makes it very easy because their is only one remote, and it controls everything. Sound is crystal clear. It decodes all digital formats. I am pushing a custom pair of JBL speakers. 15 inch woofer with the jbl bullet tweeters. Man does it sound good. You can not go wrong with this series of a/v receivers.
This receiver is currently running my sony tv, sony cd player and dvd player and the best thing is only one remote. It also features 4 separate optical hookups for your entertainment system. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who wants a quality sytem for a fair price.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by The Royal One a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Good sound and flexability as Sony usually does for the money. So far no reliablity issues have come up with anything that I have(All of which is Sony).

Purchased At:   eBay