Sony STR DE875 Dolby Digital DTS A V Receiver A/V Receivers

4.13/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $480.00

- Preprogrammed Remote Commander control.
- 32-bit Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and dts decoder.
- 32-bit DSP with 27 acoustic environments.
- Digital Cinema Sound system with Cinema Studio EX modes.
- Digital Concert Hall A/B for surround sound playback of stereo music sources.
- Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode.
- 10-function input selector with Phono input.
- 5.1-channel input for new high-resolution multi-channel audio sources such as SACD.
- 3 Optical digital inputs, 1 output.
- Coaxial digital input.
- 3 S-Video inputs, 1 S-Video output.
- Control S system.
- Subwoofer output.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Wow this is the best for the value... Got this at Goodwill for $19.99 LOL.... Who would ever give this away. Hooked it up and Wow what a Home Theather System.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by richardbckr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
My early 80's era Yamaha compnents gave up the ghost after 20 years and I needed a replacement. Not wanting to spend a lot of money I settled for a unit that had plenty of power, a circuit I can run a pair of Bose 901s through, and would fit into my cabinet easily. The Sony STR DE- 875 has done a very nice job for me over the last 4 years. It's been extremely reliable - even after a couple power hits over the winter. The Sony's internal equalizer fine tunes the 901s for my room and there are more features than I can possibly use. Perhaps one of these days I may move the Sony to the TV where it probably belongs and purchase an integrated amp for my 901s and music enjoyment. All in all, for the budget concious audio listener I think you'll find the Sony STR - DE875 a great deal with great sound.

Purchased At:   Camp Butler Okinawa

Submitted by Dimitris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've this receiver for about two years and use it mainly for movies. I am completely satisfied, especially given the price that I paid. I 've installed Magnat Motion speakers and a 12 inch subwoofer by Magnat as well. I usually watch movies at around 30. I 've never raised the volume above 35, it's really loud and it goes until 50... I'm not a specialist or an audiophile but I never had a single problem or complaint about it so I do not regret buying it, and I urge you to do the same if you find one cheap.

Purchased At:   Carefur

Submitted by nebfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well, after reading some of the former reviews I just had to put in my two cents. First, This is an excellent reciever. I have not experienced any of the negative problems with the volume control or lack of bass. I attribute this to having high quality interconnects, speaker cables and of course quality speakers. I have been a 2 channel guy for years so perhaps my knowledge on Home Theater is limited, but I really don't think that is the case here. Prior to the purchase I have owned Arcam, NAD, & some of the old 70's Marantz & "tank Like' Yamaha Equipment. I have a pretty good ear for music and this piece does not dissapoint me in the least. No it is not as wide and dynamic as my old British & Japanese Hi-Fi, but they did not offer any of the Sony's DSP funtions so it has been to this point a good trade off. Hell, I still have my Marantz 2030 and have not felt the need to plug it in. In short for $125.00 this was an outstanding purchase. To those having any of these "so called" issues don't blame the reciever; upgrade the interconnects, cables, speakers & digitals sources & you shoud see a huge difference in performance

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by greggo9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Overall, a pretty good receiver if you are just starting out. Of course, now the DE-885 is out and has the 2nd room option and is $50 less! Go figure. The sound is good for a low-to-mid A/V receiver. I am using Wharfedale separates up front and Klipsch surrounds with an AR 12inch powered sub. The bass adjustments +/- 6db is pretty good, and is convenient to adjust the bass output. There are several different soundfields to choose from, but the majority time I leave it on Auto. Good options for the money. Setup takes some time and figuring.

Purchased At:   Gallery Furniture