Sony STR-DE425 A/V Receivers

4.41/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

100W x3 Channels / 50W x2 Rear Channels - Dolby Digital Ready - 1998 model

Submitted by Tyler Laman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2015

Bottom Line:
I've had this for about 3 years now, got it used. This has saved my antique 15" 3-way speakers many times, along with my subwoofer. I've had the 'PROTECT' feature display itself many times, and every time, it shut off BEFORE the speakers blew, although I keep the receiver off for about 10m to make sure nothing was overheated.

Anyways, I have made my own surround sound system, due to the fact that none of the speakers match, and the whole thing works great. I also like the fact that I can switch A+B speakers and left and right.

At first I thought I downgraded to this from a 1000w receiver. 2 500w channels, I was wrong. This Sony receiver is soooo much better. I keep bass all the way up, as I have a lot of midrange and not many bass-producing speakers, and I have treble at about 40% past halfway. This sounds good with my speakers.

Although I have rarely turned the volume past 4.5. I turned up to 10 once, and it shut off automatically, saying 'PROTECT', (saved my speakers once again). Then I turned bass all the way down, treble just past halfway, and THEN turned it to 10. Never flinched. IF you do have high end loudspeakers, you might be able to turn it to 10 with NO modifications to BASS or TREBLE, (without 'bass boost' on). I am still waiting for the day that I can do that, just saving up for better speakers.

I recommend cooling it somehow if you're gonna pump that much power through it, however. I just have a laptop cooling fan flipped up-side-down above the receiver. I have the cooling pad plugged into my PS3 (as I only use my PS3 with the surround sound. I don't have cable, it's pointless). I can turn it up to 10 for hours with the fan on low, it keeps it room temp.

I'm upgrading soon to the (sticking with Sony, as I like my PS3, and everything to match) Sony STR DN-850. It's a 4K, 7.2 channel receiver with built in Wifi and Bluetooth. Gonna have concert-grade Crate amp speaker cabinets (made in the same year, 1998) hooked up to it with two PL-200 subwoofers from BIC Acoustech, a series from BIC America. Should sound great.

Will update when I get the new Crate amp cabinets....

Submitted by Dirtbike a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have used it for over 10 years now and it still pumps out big power! I use a cord that has two speaker plugs to headphone jack. I run headphone through my tv, iPhone, mp3, and more. The only unit that I gotta get up to turn on and off is my woofer. The best ss stereo that I've ever owned! It's kinda old now but still looks and sounds brand new. I will use it until it breaks, so that could be past a lifetime.

Submitted by johny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Very good receiver for the money. Good deal. I had this for seven years and it never shut it shelf down, even when i pushed it hard. The ploblem though with this receiver is that it does not have strong transformer and output power... But for the money it costs, it gives more...

Submitted by AN DiGiTAL STUDiOS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Pretty nice amp, Yet weak at surround strengths, yet gives out lots of bass for fron speakers. I dont tend to use the 2 channel Prologic mode anymoe, once I got the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 1394, I just use the 5.1 input. IT DOESNT SOUND FLAT!!!! It sounds great, with the EAX effects and the bass way up high. Could have used a Dolby Digital Decoder, though I have one on my Audigy soundcard. If you are looking for a low price Name brand 5.1 amp, this is the one.

Purchased At:   Some Werehouse

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best receivers ever. I have a bose acustamass 7 home thature system hooked up to it and it is great. Lots of bass out of the bass module. Sounds great. I dont know if its the reciever of just the bose speakers.

Purchased At:   Sony stores usa