Sony STR-DB930 A/V Receivers

4.53/5 (359 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

A\V Reciever

Submitted by Alter Tan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
The great STR-DB930 Silver color. Wow! Ive listened to my friends Home Theater set-ups and nothing can compare the performance of this Sony model. Its quite an old one now but Ive transfered from one house to another, with all the shakes and turns but best thing is, it's durable. Btw, ive matched it it with Sony speakers black color USA made...Value for money.

Submitted by Julian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned the DB930 for over 10 years now. I bought it in 2000 when I got married and it has been a solid performer. It has survived 3 house moves without a scratch. The components are high quality and the sound that it produces is great. I know some people have complained about a buzzing noise but I have never heard it. I use this in my home theater room and have it connected to a 54 Plasma with JBL speakers. Sounds awesome, I have never had the dial turned up past 4. One thing I can say though is make sure all the connections are digital, it makes a difference. I use the digital coax as well as the digital fiber connections to hook everything up and it is a truer sound.

Submitted by andrea a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
very good product!!!!!

Submitted by Pyro_maniac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very impressed!
I bought this amp on EBay and i was very impressed with the value for money. I havn't been able to really crank it without fear of blowing my speakers. It really kicks! Theres a good choice of DSP modes for creating cinema effects from a stereo output. I was impressed with the connectivity options, enabling this amp to be encorporated into part of a separates system. Although this an AV amp i have it in my bedroom connected to my PC for predominantly stereo music and MP3s i was well impressed with the Tuner the RDS picks about 22 radio stations, i only managed 15 with my cambridge audio tuner!
Iv also tried it on a DTS signal and it sounds amazing! very good with Quake too! You could say im not a typical User of this AV amp but i wanted the power and the benifits of surround + a sub output all of which are good. So far i havn't found a purpose this amp can't handle. The only slight complaints are the remote isn't exactly small or intuitve but with a quick read of the manual all falls in to place. If only the buttons you acctually use where were you need them? Other slight gripe is a little hissing when its turned high! and there is also poor channel separtion if its turned up loud i can hear noise from other imputs.
Nice that it has easily accessible volume controls for the individual speakers and the sub levels. It also features variable bass mid and treble level and frequency adjustments. A good all rounder and an absolute bargain at £130

Purchased At:   EBay.co.uk

Submitted by Porto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I can't think of any annoying things on this unit nor do I hear any humming or hissing using the sub pre-outs. I'm using both sub-preouts to a Rotel RE-1010 equalizer which is used for hi-frequency cut-off to an Akai AM-69 amplifier (2x 150W) to change the bass level, to two Visaton 12" subwoofers (200W rms). The bass goes VERY deep and the bass sound is clear of any unwanted signal. I bought mine in 1999 but has only recently (2 months ago) found out that AC-3 and DTS are only selectable when connecting the dvd player to a DIGITAL connector, coaxial or optical. Stupid of me, yes, tells you also I don't like reading manuals so I guess I'm using only 1/4th of it's capabilities! All those great movies I saw with only Dolby Prologic! What a shame!! ;) When I discovered the DD/DTS not only a bright blue LED has going active (didn't know that was a light at all!) but a new world has gone open and I heard what a dynamic in sound I've missed in those times... now I watch more movies than I did in the last years, only because my rear speakers finally sound perfect and not 'far-away' when using dolby prologic. The center speaker stays very clear and clean, so do the front speakers! It is great that you can set the right frequencies per speaker set (front, rear, subwoofer, center) to fine tune the whole. The -10 to +10 boost per speaker set is also a great PLUS! Radio reception is good. In the 4 years I have this unit I never experienced faulty led's, display, connection or spontaneous shutdown due to hot environment or overheating.

No way I'm going to sell this unit for another thing. This unit is going to be old in my room! :)

Purchased At:   local audio/video st