Sherwood RD-7106 A/V Receivers

4.54/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

• DTS Decoder • Dolby Digital Decoder • Circle Surround • Dolby Pro Logic Surround • Dolby Virtual Surround • 4 DSP Modes (Theater, Hall, Stadium, Church) • Automatic Format Detection • 6 channel direct input • 24-Bit, 96 kHz A to D and D to A converters for all channels • 5.1 channel bass management • 4 Digital Inputs (2 optical and 2 coaxial) • On-Screen Display • Sherwood System Remote Control

Submitted by SportLine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've owned this receiver for a little more than 6 months now. I have it in my college apartment, and it fills my listening room with plenty of sound (cathedral ceiling). It has plenty of power, is very clean, and the number of inputs is convenient.

I have it set up with JBL northridge speakers all around and a Sony SA-WM40 sub. It sounds fantastic. For CD listening, I have the Sherwood CD-680T 5-disc changer, and the sound quality is extremely good. I wish I could find a CD-980T to purchase to use with this unit.

Circle Surround is fantastic with television and PS2/XBox games that don't support DTS or 5.1. The other DSP modes are useless, although I will try the theatre setting as suggested below. Overall, this receiver is perfect for those on a limited (college student) budget, as it has plenty of features, inputs, and more than enough power.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by headknocker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This a long overdue followup review. I've grown rather fond of this unit. I discovered that the DTS Decoder never stopped working afterall. It was my error...don't ask...LOL.Anyway,we used to use the Circle Surround DSP setting for CD listening and TV viewing but we found that the Theater mode works better in most instances.The other two DSP modes are essentially worthless....WAY too boingy and echoey.

It has more than enough power to handle the typical HT setup(100 watts RMS X 6) and it's easy to operate. It also has binding posts for all of the speaker connections and that's a major plus for any AV Receiver...spring clip connections are the worst. I had originally planned to replace the RD7106 with something that offered DPL II but I think I'm gonna wait a little longer. This unit is keeping me very happy right now and I don't see any need to get something else. If I did get something else it would be the Panasonic 100 AV Receiver. That's what I had my eye on a year ago and I noticed that Sound Vision placed it on their Best Buy list of value-priced gear a couple of months ago. Panasonic's units are hard to beat for the money(IMO).

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Kevin C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked up this receiver for $160(shipping included...its MSRP was $400) from uBid last November. I had always wanted a Sherwood A/V Receiver and this unit got some very strong reviews in the mags so I decided to go for it. Well, first off, the DSP modes on this unit are terrible.They're WAY too boingy for my taste. The only one worth using is the Circle Surround mode...which I use all of the time..the others are essentially worthless. I also thought it sounded very thin and bright right outta the box with the factory bass and treble default settings set at zero. It sounded SO bad that my wife and I thought something was wrong with it. I fiddled around with the bass and treble levels until I found an acceptable result. I ended up with the bass cranked up to "6" and the treble lowered to "minus 2....ahhh much better.

The manual was OK but it definitely could've been better. The wording in some of the directions were kinda vague and misleading but I eventually figured it out.

The other reviews were correct about missing the first note on CD's when you use the digital connections. It's not a big,big deal but it is a little annoying. The unit is very heavy and seems to be put together very well. I was just starting to warm-up to this unit but then the DTS decoder went AWOL after owning it for a month....arrrggghh. It just stopped working. It worked fine one day when I plopped in the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD but I tried using it the next day for another DVD and it wouldn't engage no matter what I tried.I tried several other DTS DVD's and the result was the same...no dice. Yeah, I could send it back to Sherwood since it's still under warranty for another three months but that proposition is one big pain in the butt. I think I'll suck it up and use DD for everything and wait a little longer and pick up another A/V Receiver with DPL II( this unit was made before its introduction). This unit will eventually end up in a secondary HT in a spare bedroom or den. I know it sounds like I hate this unit but I've grown to like it quite a bit. My major gripe is with the DTS going AWOL after one stinkin' month...everything else is workin fine.

Submitted by cndawes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Circle Surround ... what more can I say ? This is the DB when watching normal TV or just listening to music. It makes the stereo sound into psuedo 5.1 so you get rear effects on normal programmes. Good examples are when people clap and cheer. You feel like you are in the crowd with them :-)
The normal 5.1 is good too and it drives my Celestion speakers nicely.

Submitted by Ravis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the first AV amplifier that I've bought and I have no regrets at all! When using it with my Eltax Symphony floorstanders the sound quality is incredible. Its fantastic for both movies and music. For the low price I dont think that you'll find any other amp that can give as good a audio experience. On top of that it has a huge array of great features. Its got 2 optical in's, 2 coax in's, 6 channel input, about 5 phono in's, 4 video in's (although I havent used it for video switching yet because my TV doesnt have S-video) and radio aerial in's. It has an incredible range of sound programs including DD5.1, DTS, Pro-logic, Circle Surround (needs to be heard to be believed when it comes to music), Dolby Virtual. The DSP is pretty good although I would have liked a psuedo surround option in there. Overall this is an awesome piece of kit for the price, and I would recommend it highly if you want a good AV amp at a low cost.

Sennheiser: