Sherwood Newcastle R-756 A/V Receivers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

DD/DTS receiver

Submitted by PETER GRASIC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this reciever to intergrate into my HI-end audio system consisting of a Marantz DV-18 DVD, passive pre (stepped attenuators) high quality power amp & audiophile 20-20,000khz 3 way speakers with twin 150w inbuilt subs.large centre (voiced to mains) & high quality 2 way surrounds.The sound from this reciever is very natural & non-electronic, like high quality audio equipment (not fatiquing) as I listen to music dvd's the audio signal from this amp through the pre-outs into the passive driving the 2 x mains,with the sherwood running the centre & rears is very impressive & reinforces my decision to set up this way as oppossed to seperate processor-multi channel power amp where the audio system would have been compromised.This unit is better than the onkyo 575x which is very good also but is more electronic sounding but the JVC is terrible on music

Purchased At:   Radio Parts

Submitted by Nero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
The first thing that struck me with this R-756 is how well it's built. It stacks up very well in that category to the Onkyo 787 and it takes the others I mentioned above to the cleaners. Also the titanium finish is very easy on the eyes.
Then the features, it offers component video switching which almost no other manufacturer offers at this price point. 4 digital inputs, on screen display, 5 x 110 Watt on 8 Ohm. Pre-outs for all channels. Dynamic Range Control and one of the nicer features around (in pre pro logic 2 territory)Circle Surround which I will get back to later.
The most important issue with a receiver i think is in how it sounds and this is where the R-756 impresses me most.
It totally blows away the Denon 1601, 1801 and the Onkyo 575. Also it outperforms, in my opinion, the 787 and the 2801. It just sounds great. The sound is very dynamic, it really creates a realistic soundstage, if you close your eyes you really can hear great placement in space of the music, if it's there on the source.
It also really takes charge of the speakers. I have a pair of Heco Mythos 500 as the main speakers, i always thought they performed very well in the low range with plenty of power, but when i hooked them up to the R-756 it really knocked me off my feet. There was such power coming from the speakers, but still the sound was extremely clear and tight. This is where i find this sherwood receiver is ahead of the 787. I really like both of them as they are both very musical, but the 787 really lacks 'oomph' in comparison with the Sherwood.
Then there's the Circle Surround, this really is a great upgrade from Dolby Pro Logic. When watching a Dolby Surround movie with dolby pro logic sound it is just as good as the pro logic modes on the other models I mentioned above. It really adds to the movie-experience, if you however change to Circle Surround decoding you experience a completely different sound. The CS really envelopes you in the sound. When for instance a car passes in the back of the sound field, on pro logic you here the noise of the car in the surround channels, you cannot really define where it is coming from and where it's going it's just there for a second. However when listening to the same scene with CS you can hear it fading in from the left surround channel and then moving towards the right surround channel where it finally fades away. On many soundtracks the CS sound comes very close to the Dolby Digital soundtrack. I often watch movies on tv or with my vcr, because there is just so much material available on those formats, and this really adds to the enjoyment of this. I mean if you have been spoiled by movies on dvd and their soundtracks, you just feel you miss something when you're listening to pro logic. With CS i can say that i can really enjoy my movies again without them having a 5.1 soundtrack.
CS also is great for listening to music as it really creates a very pleasant surround sound with just a stereo source like a normal audio cd.
I have to say i still prefer the stereomode for music, because really this receiver shines with stereo music, but the CS is very nice for certain cd's.
I mean on the other receivers i wouldn't even bother with the dsp's creating a different soundfield because it is so crap. The only one i would use is probably the matrix mode on the denon receiver that isn't bad. For people who do enjoy them, the R-756 comes with the standard theater, hall, church and stadium modes. They do sound better(my opinion) than the respective modes on the Denon's, but really i wouldn't bother with them.
The only negative thing about the receiver is probably the remote. I mean the remote on the Denon 1601 and 1801 are just as bad, but the other models i named all have much better remotes. Unlike other brands'receivers you can do more with the buttons on the receiver then with the buttons on the remote, there are several functions you cannot operate with the remote, but there is nothing you can do with the remote that you can't do on the receiver also.
This means that you have to have easy acces to the receiver.
Controlling the receiver on the thing itself is very easy and simple with a great multifunction knob. You can control virtually all functions with this one 'button' this in my opinion is very simple to get used to. Another benefit is that you will have no problems using the receiver when you can't find your remote or if it's broken.
I can say I really recommend it to anyone who is serious about the sound of his hometheater and doesn't want to buy a top range model of other brands. If you look at the Onkyo 787, you can prefer it over the R-756 because of a few great features like THX select, or multiroom capability, 7 channels of amplification, very nice remote. If you look at the essentials however, which boils down to the sound and the really usefull for everyday features, the R-756 beats the Onkyo. If you then consider that the Onkyo 787 costs more than twice as much as the Sherwood Newcastle R-756.
In other words if you are looking for a Onkyo DS-TX787, in perfect condition I might add, I've got a great deal for you.

Submitted by Willie Wages a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I like this receiver a lot. I really takes charge of my speakers. I use a pair of KLH floor speakers for the front channel. I have a sony center channel and Bose rear. This receiver takes my old speakers to new heights. I relly like this receiver especially for the price.

Purchased At:   U-Bid

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the Arcam AVR 100 and sent it back a month later. The lack of video inputs I could live with, but I couldn't wrap my head around spending $2000 (CDN) on a receiver that sent a hum out of the centre channel. Also, I found myself hitting the ceiling more than once, it's so underpowered. It's just poorly designed, poorly built, and the remote sucked.

I tried a Denon and instantly discovered what people talk about when they dismiss Japanese receivers. Bright, bright, bright.

Fortunately, Glen in Windsor got his paws on the Sherwood Newcastle. I could find almost no information on this receiver, even on the Sherwood USA site! No specs, no reviews, save for the three raves (now four) on audioreview. I was disappointed that there wasn't a phono stage, but at least it has two component video inputs.

But that's all geek talk. What matters is how it sounds. And it sounds! In two channel stereo it is at least as good as the ARcam. It may be better in fact, since it's powered so much higher (at least 100 watts per channel). But I bought this system for movies, and that is where it shines. Channel separation is clean, even when the source is a satelite signal. (I found the ARCAM was distorting the rear channels in ProLogic mode, but not the Sherwood). It integrates beautifully with the subwoofer. The soundscape in Saving Private Ryan was astounding.

I've added a Rega phono stage to my setup to solve that problem. Extra expense, but my God does it sound sweet.

Why does no one know about the receiver?

Here's my full setup:
Sherwood Newcastle 756
Acoustic Energy Aegis One for front and rear channels, matching centre channel and subwoofer
Rega phono stage, Dual 1249 turntable (restored)
Toshiba 2-disc DVD

Purchased At:   Audio Two Windsor Ontario

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:

Why does no one know about the receiver?

Here's my full setup:
Sherwood Newcastle 756
Rega phono stage, Dual 1249 turntable (restored)
Toshiba 2-disc DVD