Pioneer VSX-D908S A/V Receivers

4.35/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Audio / Video Receiver with Dolby Digital & dts - Crystal 24-bit A/D Converter - Burr Brown 96k / 24-bit D/A Converters - 100W x 5 channels - 4 Digital Inputs & 1 Digital Output - 5 Audio & 5 Video Inputs - S-Video Switching

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 908-TXG (TX stands for THX certified, G stands for the gold colour of the unit). Have generally been pleased with the amp with the exception of a few gripes;
1) The remote that was originally supplied with the amp (and reviewed in various magazines at the time) was a deluxe LCD back lit model. On purchasing the amp I discovered mine was supplied with a "bog-standard" remote learning remote. Nothing bad about the remote just that felt the advertising of the unit was quite misleading. I have since learnt this is common practice with Pioneer, to release some new AV products with a fancy remote then after a few months replace it with a cheaper model (you have been warned).
2) The power button has never worked quite right, it's always been a hit'n'miss affair as to whether the amp would actually turn off or on when pressing the power button (the remote power button has always worked).
I've now had the amp over 2 years and it's still performing well, although the transformer has just starting making a low humming noise, which is probably to be expected as Pioneer has a reputation for power supply problems in a number of their AV products.
Other points of note is that when fully "cranking" the volume the amp does tend to run out of steam for big bass/LFE tracks (i.e. most recently notable "Tron"), although admittedly I don't run a sub and all the bass goes through 2 series II 603 B&W speakers. Once again on the whole I must admit I've been fairly happy with the performance of the amp, however would I buy another Pioneer product... no (unless the price is extremely convincing).

Purchased At:   Westcoast HiFi Joond

Submitted by A a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
When connected to the TV, radio noise comes through. Pretty good sound. Good hookups.

Purchased At:   BX

Submitted by ax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great sound. Great features.
THE WORST customer service known to mankind.

Purchased At:   AAFEES

Submitted by Harry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
After 16 months of using this machine I can say that it does deliver, and does it very well. At first I was a bit disappointed with the stereo sound, but after making sure that all the power plugs were adjusted to avoid common impedance coupling as much as possible it sounds OK. As it turns out my subwoofer (sony) was the culprit. Now it stands on a big chunck of marble and spikes. That did it for me. I use a sony DVD s7700 as a CD/DVD player (RGB-output, (which by the way does play cd-r, contrary to what I read in reviews, just not all CD-R's. Use TDK or Philips and you should have no problem). The video is awesome. The 5.1/DTS sound in my fairly large living room is very satisfactory. Stereo sound is crisp en doesn't fatigue at all.
Of course there are better amps than this one, but not for this money. If you can buy it for a discount (let's say around 500,-, then go for it.

Purchased At:   hifi-shop

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this receiver on an ebay auction from spidergear.com for $300 + $40 shipping. It was a refurbished model, but came to me in totally new condition, with everything fully functional. This is the second piece of refurbished Pioneer equipment I have purchased, with no complaints so far. The receiver I bought is actually the VSX-D908S, unlike some of the other variations reviewed below. Don't be fooled by the 'brushed' metal picture of the receiver that you see all over the internet. The one I received is the standard dull black metal that all low-end pioneer receivers have. Overall I am extremely happy with the overall performance of this receiver. I upgraded from the Pioneer VSX-D606S (I know, not much of an upgrade), primarily based on the fact that this receiver had all of the digital inputs that I needed without breaking the bank. After extensive listening to the 908S, I think that for 2-channel music, the 908S is very similar to the 606S. However, for home theater, I think the 908S is slightly superior. Not a lot, but at least noticeably better. I bought the 606S for $600 (new) when Dolby Digital 5.1 was just becoming mainstream. In hindsight, I probably could have waited 6 months and gotten all the features I wanted for $300. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for $340, the 908S is an outstanding entry level receiver. If you really want to save the money, go on ebay and buy a 606S for ~$100-$150.
Other things I liked about the 908S-
1) Easy on-screen setup
2) Ability to control other manufacturers equipment with the same remote
3) Tons of digital inputs
4) S-Video switching
5) Extremely clean sound. I have Infinity RS-8s with built in powered subs, and the receiver has plenty of power to drive these speakers.

The only thing I didn't like about the remote is that when you depress a button, it becomes backlit, but doesn't stay backlit for very long. I know it's to save batteries, but if I can afford a receiver, then I can afford batteries. Also, some of the DSP modes don't really sound that good, but I'm sure some people like them.

Purchased At:   Spidergear.com