Pioneer VSX D906S A/V Receivers

4.11/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

A/V receiver

Submitted by Anthony Monaco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Puchased this unit when dvd's were still in their test marketing phase (I forget the exact year & month but divx wasn't even out yet & the yen collapsed). Built my own subs & speakers (the tweeters are 'Peerless' & woofers mids & crossovers is from a small CDN company that has been eaten up by a bigger Co 10 years ago. I matched them against JBL studio monitors at a studio I was learning at in the 80's & everyone thought they were somewhat better). I have a Yamaha A-700 Amp(again an 80's item) running the subs & it's the best I've heard (for subs) anywhere. The Pioneer is excellent no frills Dolby Digital with outstanding seperation & sonic qualities. I listen to all types of music (in a minor studio you can be recording a heavy metal band while having jazz band waiting for their turn in the lobby & a country band up after them) but I'm most comfortable 70's,80's rock which sound the best in the 'jazz'(small club) setting. Never really any problems (Rammstein ate my tweeters three ago) & EVERYONE 'freaked' from the sound I got out of that system. As the years went on I got into Dvd-Audio which sounds excellent on ac-3 tracks but not all these disks carry a Dolby Digital Track. So sadly I relegated this as my second unit and bought a new 2002 Sony with dts & dvd-a inputs. For straight unprocessed DD signals the Pioneer still sounds better, tried to run it as a sub amp but it didn't even come close to the yamaha-nothing has(the Yamaha has been on it's last legs now for 6 years & i've tried many different amps).

Purchased At:   Lazerman

Submitted by Christopher Wolff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ok, this is my follow up after a total of about 4 months of use.

The VSX-D906S is a great product, one of Pioneer's best standard line items. Only the D90x series come with the high current design though, except this year one of the $800 70X series has a high current amplifier stage. Kind of strange, another of the 70x series uses Pioneer's crappy 'hybrid' ampflifier design and all of the 80x use the worthless hybrid amp. I'de like to know just how they decide the series numbers. LOL.

Some people are complaining about having to turn the volume up to high....well....it's a linear taper pot, not a log pot. Most recievers use a logirithmic pot that decreases resistance every set proportionate distance, this makes volume increase earlier when turning the volume but also makes the output distort little more than half the distance to the end of the rotatable distance. Pioneer just happens to use a linear pot that makes you turn the volume knob further, but also it does not distort unitl almost the very end of the rotatable distance.

Oh, as it seemed the prior poster was directing his statment towards me about the sub out, etc:

Have you ever tried using a seperate high quality sub with your mains crossed over activley? It does not matter what quality the mains are, when you reduce the range of frequencies you reduce intermodular distortion, and the mids are signifcantly clearer without recieiving low bass and forcing the woofers to respond to high mids and lows simultaneously and dynamics are also increased. Now if you have large mains with say 10" woofers I guess you can't really understand unless you are able to bi-amp those mains which is usually only common on very expensive loudspeakers. But with towers using 7 or 6" mid woofers it makes a huge difference in music whether you have a cheap pair of Polks or a set of expensive Dynaudio Contours. Small woofers are too fast for low bass, it sounds wrong(unnatural) even though a flat response can be achived to 40 Hz or so. And no "boominess" is possible if you put some effort into picking out a good sub such as a Velodyne, etc and remembering to use the crossover in the reciever...only a very well balanced and natrual sound reproduction is possible then. Now if you are going to buy one of those $200 Sony subs you will probably be sorry if you try to actually use it with music, that is unless you don't mind mushy bass.

I listed no DTS as a negative, but really since DTS is not common on DVDs even today I have not actually missed this feature 'yet'.

I recommend you leave at least 9" over your reciever clear of anything so that it can cool properly. The 906 is truely a high current amp and it will run very very warm even when it is used at very low volumes. If your warranty is up, you may want to replace the power cord with a much larger one. Please only do this if you use a high value resistor and discharge the power supply caps first and know what the heck you are doing to boot.

I listed 5 stars for both ratings seeing as how I only paid $254 for this baby and it's performance is typical of $1000+ recievers. And of course it can't compete with component power amps, but it's not meant to!

Submitted by Nick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Can't fault it! No probs setting it up, sounds great, solid build quality. Even my girlfriend makes positive comments about "All this Surround-Sound malarkey!" now! The only reason I can feel to upgrade is to get DTS, and I'm in no great hurry.
Of course there's better out there, but you have to spend the money...
I've read a couple of reviews here from people who also own hi-end 2 channel kit who slate the 906.
All I can say to them is what do they expect?
The various 2 channel amps that are being compared are easily 4 or 5 times the cost of the 906, of course they are going to be better!!!
For the money, the 906 is pretty hard to beat and has been the best upgrade in my system so far.

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I find that this receiver works great. The DD is crisp and clean. The amplifier has plenty of current for the average sized room.
I hear to many people complaining about the sub out not working in stereo mode. Duh!!! This is a Dolby surround and Dolby Digital addition...the sub was never meant to be used during music playback. A "D" note on a bass guitar is at 40hertz and is the lowest note in "real" music. Most good speakers will be able to achieve this note. If your's do not, then set the receiver to small speakers so that the sub turns on. The speaker size is for the bandwidth of the speaker, not the size of the box!!

Purchased At:   Auction

Submitted by Christopher Wolff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is shorter and less specific that most I write, but I just recently aquired this product and have not had enough time with it to be more concise.

I just bought this receiver off of ebay for a very low price. I could not resist simply because I have heard good things about the amplifier. I am not dissapointed, very clean with good dynamics. It's a very nice Dolby Digital decoder too, but I wish that it had DTS in addition. I like the internal crossover, but the screwy guys at Pioneer decided to limit your choices. You can select a crossover frequency of 80, 100 or 150....the one you choose is automaticly applied to all speakers that you have specified as 'small', but you can't mix and match different x-over frequencies. Also, if you choose 'Large" main speakers you can not get the subwoofer to output in stereo mode. But this doesn't bother me really, I find that even with my towers..it is best not to send the bass to the towers and the sub simultaneously, this results in inaccurate bass that is very annoying, and just not a very pretty thing at all. I find 80Hz to be just fine, besides...this allows for less intemodulation distortion due to the narrower band of frequencies that the woofers in my towers have to respond to.

TARA LABS: