Pioneer VSX D850S Dolby Receiver A/V Receivers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $685.00

Pioneer brings high quality Dolby Surround sound into your home with the VSX-D850S receiver.

Submitted by ezecoli2001 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this reciever along with a JBL PB10 and a set of front, rear, and center channel from Pioneer. I hooked everything up which was a breeze and let it go. My Sub would not get the signal until I turned the receiver's SUBWOOFER list from ON to PLUS. I guess the Sub needed more power to turn it on. I recently got an overload but i noticed some speaker wires were crossed so that fixed that problem. This receiver drives the neigbors crazy with the wopping 110 Watts per channel capability. I have not added a surround back yet which this model can hold but DTS-ES soundtracks sound awesome the way they are even without the sixth channel. This is a great dea. I dont think u can find a model with so many inputs and outputs for the price other than this model.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by frochs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
nice receiver. has more than enough connections, and is hdtv ready. found out as others did that the unit does decode dd ex. unit seems to provide enough power. gladiator sounds supreme in dts-es. i had no problem with the remote. it took me about 30min. to program it to control my tv,dvd player , cd player, digital cable box and my vcr. the manual is not great, but the part about the remote wasn't to confusing. all in all this is a great receiver with ample power and is future proof.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by chasbinau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
OK, This is my first reciever. My wife said I didnt need it. I hoked everything uo to my KLIPSCH QUINTETS (Without-a-Sub) and turned it on. It kept overloading. I didnt know to twist the wire tighter and make sure none wasvisible . reconnected everything and WAHLA! Figured out the remote used the learn feature t get rid of my others. My wife is truly happy we have tis now! I took her to the store to hear the subs, I a getting one next week! Easy to setup hard to learn remoate! I love this!

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by rg505 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
outstanding product, great for movies and music. i watched pearl harbor on the first night wow! great product for the price. if you want to listen to music and watch movie on sorround sound its great.
if your into high tech or studio sound its to easy you would not know how to use it.

Purchased At:   camera pia

Submitted by sam9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is actually for the VSZ-D810S by having a couple fewer connection options.

Power: I'm of the school that properly SS amps all sound alike so long as you don't try to drive a speaker larger than intended. In my case the pre-outs are useful because my main L&R are very inefficient 4 ohm units so I find an out board amp avoids problems.

Connections: rear pannel is very nicely laid out helping keep the usual "bundle of snakes" under control. All speaker outputs are binding post that take either banaba or bare wire but not spades. The basic stereo L&R DVD inputs double as Main L&R 5.1/7.1 inputs, saving some space and making set up a bit simpler. Pre-outs fot all channels so you can use this a reasonably priced preamp/processor it you wish.

Surround modes: Not that estensive but they should handle most needs. Provides for variable effect so you can tone done the delay and reverb. Appearently, DSP processing can be combined with DD and DTS sources - an eyebrow raiser for me. I'm not really keen on sythesized surround but the basic Dolby Pro Logic mode seems pretty good comparred to my previous reciever's. It'd not DPL II, but I suspect it is an above average implementation.

"Bonus Features":
A:***This unit has bass management for the 5.1/7.1 inputs!! What is wierd is that Pioneer doesn't advertise this and the manual doesn't mention it! I discovered it by accident, and got an e-mail confirmation from Pioneer customer service.
B:Independent level adjustment for all modes including 5.1/7.1 inputs. The manual does mention this but only in passing. It is easy to overlook. The test tone is only available in DD?DTS mode. For all the others including 5.1/7.1 you need a disc like Avia to provide the tone. On the other hand, once figured out setting the levels was quite easy.
C:Selectable cross over points (100hz/150hz/200hz). Although not THX standard I found this very useful. I wired my sub between the reciever and the main speakers and set the subs crossover to optimise response between it and the mains, then set the mains to "large", the center and surrounds to "small" with a XO point of 200Hz. Not the ultimate in bass management, but out of the ordinary for a mid-range AVR!
D: Tape monitor loop. Works with VCR, and tapr/CD-R in/outputs. This is really rare on AVRs and very welcome.
E:"Loudness" circuit.