Pioneer VSX-D510 A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

DTS/Dolby Digital/Pro Logic Surround Decoder , 5.1-Channel Input, DVD-Audio Ready.

Submitted by Peter a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was in the process of looking 2 turn my bedroom into a home-cinema when i heard a friend of a friend was selling his reciever. He only had had it for 2 months and was upgrading 2 the VSX-811. Great, i thought, it was the model i was going 2 buy n e way. Now i that i've got it, it's great. It does all i need it 2, although i need an active sub to save my old stereo speakers from blowing. Any recomendations n e one? Also it suits my Pioneer DV-344 dvd player down 2 a T

Purchased At:   friend of a friend

Submitted by Martti a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am very satisfied with this product after having spent a couple of days learning about all the knobs and menus and gimmicks. The control of this device is a bit complicated but the sound it gives out is really great. I have 2X200W ten year old Infinity's reference speakers in front with 12" bass elements.
Who needs a subwoofer with this combination.
Back I have 2X150W Genelec. After having taught the remote all my components I need no other remote controls. I used to have one for all so my table was packed.

Purchased At:   Used - private

Submitted by King a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This on the VSX-D511 rather than the 510. This receiver has all the inputs and outputs including S-Video that I can imagene ever needing. I'm running a Sharp DVD, Toshiba VCR, and Sony TV through the unit with only two Yamaha 3 way speakers at this time. Only thing I've found missing is a learning remote. I need three to get everything going. For what I paid versus the manufactures suggested of 299.99 it's a great deal.

Purchased At:   Costco Wholesale

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm the first!
Perfect Pioneer, exceeding all my expectations except the totally irrational fact you can't use bass/treb in any surround mode, but only stereo (who buys a surround for that?). Yet loudness works in all modes, including digital, but only on the front spkrs! Yet, again, midnight listening - glorified loudness, increasing all quiet sounds - works on all channels on every mode. Come figure. They in fact could have made tone before the processor stage, so it actually can be used, fully. Idiots. Bass/treb is like an empty gesture, and loudness a halfwit gesture. Apparently other receivers are the same that way. Yet I don't really mind as the bass is ample with 4 15" bass spkrs.
10 DSPs is generous and fun, yet truly there are only 2 major diffs - echo or non echo, besides the great Expanded Theatre which gives stereo to the otherwise mono rear in prologic. A great idea.
The echo makes it really sound like you are in a cinema, and you can adjust that effect level in the Expanded Theatre mode. Plus the Expanded (one of the four ET modes) makes stereo sources sound more 5.1.

Purchased At:   Truscotts