Pioneer VSX-812K A/V Receivers

• DTS 96/24 Decoding
  • DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Decoding
  • DTS NEO 6: Music & Cinema Surround Decoding
  • Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Surround Decoding
  • Pro-Logic II Music & Movie Surround Decoding

Submitted by vikramk18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver mainly for it's set of preamp outputs which I wanted to use to drive my BX8 studio monitors. I am thrilled with the receiver. It took about 15 mins to hook up everything (DVD Player, tuner antenna, TV etc). The Stereo Direct Mode is very good. The imaging in this mode is sharper and distinct as compared to the regular mode which includes all the processing electronics like tone, dsp surrounds etc. The ease of connecting up is simply superb. I toyed with the idea of buying the VSX-912K, but dropped that plan on realizing that all it had was a little more power (add 10 watts per channel) and an automatic room calibrater. I have no use for either of these features. I'd much rather callibrate manually. There are sufficient connectors at the rear. I have not yet got around to using all of them yet.

I know that I will want to use the receiver's built in amps to run a set of home theater speakers in the near future and that's why I chose a receiver over a stereo preamp. Cost is another factor. A typical stereo preamp can be bought for about $500 and above. My aim is to use the receiver's preamp for stereo listening through the studio monitors and the receiver's other features for the home theater.

The tuner is crystal clear and even the weakest stations sounds suprisingly clear.

Remote: I was able to control my TV, DVD Player and receiver through the remote. However the cable tv unit cannot be controlled.

I have not yet explored the surround modes and will post another review when I get there.

Purchased At:   eBay Stores

Submitted by jwh917 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Had this unit about 2 weeks now and here is my impression.For Home theatre use it is excellent with 5,6 or 7 surround options.It has several different soundfields which work well.However,where it falls short for me is in the quality of sound for 2 channel stereo.It's mid-range is very weak and it's power rating is exaggerated.I believe it's more in the 60 to 80 watt per channel than the rated 100.My 5 year old Pioneer 5.1 channel Pro Logic unit has a much cleaner,accurately rated watts per channel and sounds just as good as my seperate Adcom amplifier.However,you do get what you pay for and for a Home Theater use only it is really a very good value.

60.0 WA BLACK: