Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $379.00

Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K THX Select A/V Receiver with MCACC

Submitted by akapuya a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver having replaced my prior 3 ones - Yamaha, Marantz and Kenwood because i was not happy with their musical performance. The prioneer 1014 is definitly a step up, great sound quality and integrity almost to the top of the DB's, I guess my speakers couldn't handle at that point. cut clear sound, depth and very low harmonic distortion even at high level delivering an almost top class amplification. I read alot of comments on the remote control, well, I found it extremely well designed, I think they did a great job on making it a real multi device remote. for example, they put the TV on/off button as an always available button, no matter which state the remote is in, something i found very annoying in other similar remotes. there are many other well thought features to this remote , which I appreciated, as they influence the usability of the remote and living with it comfortably, replacing all the remotes in the living room.
Receiver design is great, right size and presence for this device. Pioneer packed alot of technology into this device, including the automatic tuning using microphone feedback, worked great. By the way, I have the Wharfedale mid size modus speakers, wharfdale 10 inch sub and wharfedale diamond series center , all of which appear to be a great match for the receiver. to summarize, with it's low price tag of 350$, First class receiver for every employee!

Submitted by valhallak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a great receiver! I bought this for a medium sized bedroom. I compared it to a number of receivers but finally got down to two, this and the Yamaha RX-V750 which is about a $100-$150 more. Both are excellent and I had a Yamaha 2 channle receiver years ago that I really enjoyed. However this time I found when driving 5 channels hard the Yamaha was wanting for power and even clipped, the Pioneer did not. Both have a great feature set. I really like the MACC on the Pioneer. It does an excellent job of the initial setup then you can fine tune afterwards for your particular tastes. I also like the video up conversion ... keeps wiring to a minimum going up to the TV. This is a slightly warm sounding receiver and perhaps lacks a bit of sharpness the Yamaha had (brightness perhaps) so anyone comparing should listen as that is the real deciding factor... your ears. Overall I am very satisfied with this receiver. BTW I have since run across a German Magazine review of this receiver and they think it is the best thing since sliced bread and a true giant killer. They were also impressed with it's ability to put out full rated power through all 5 channels driven simultaneously.

Purchased At:   ShopSunShine

Submitted by ricari30 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great value for THX and 7.1. Good product for the entry level home theater user. Has all the features of much more expensive a/v receivers. Decent power and functionality. My opinion is solely based on the comparison between the Pioneer 1014tx and the Yamaha rx-v450. Hands down, the Yamaha out performs the Pioneer in sound management and clarity. The Yamaha picked apart the sounds and placed them better in surround modes than the Pioneer. Also, I question the Pioneers power ratings. The power rating of the Yamaha is lower, 110 w vs. 85 w per channel. The clarity of sound at lower levels from the Yamaha is much better than the Pioneer. The Pioneer does have the weight of a expensive unit and enough inputs to compete with higher priced models. The Yamaha has a second zone on top of the 6.1. The Pioneer loses 7.1 to 5.1 in order for the second zone to function. Both remotes are busy and instruction manuals can be confusing at times. The pioneer does have the auto set up feature. I find that the auto feature cannot replace the manual set up. After all, everyone has a different response to sound. Technology standards is not always the best for you.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by pabx11 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
Sold my HK AVR7200 becasue I wanted macc speaker equlization and video conversion. Was going to buy the HK AVR635 when the salesman suggested this Pioneer model. Same features at half the price. I thought I would give it a try.
Yikes!
Double yikes!!
Triple Yikes.!!!
The sound in stero is ok but just that. After to listening to HKs and then this pioneer, well its like moving from Aretha to Beyonce. Both can sing but one can really sing.
Second yike was the remote was a major step down from the HK remote. Nor is it backlit. HK really did their home work with their recent remotes. This pioneer remote was a step back in time. Button to close and without logic.
Third yike and the biggest one of all was, the video output blew after 17 days. I didnt do anything funny, u know I was just watching a movie, the Seven Sumarai by Akira Kurosawa and the screen blanked out. I said to myself, "What the heck."
So I had to run through every connection in my system to find the problem.
For some reason the pioneer would no longer upconvert regular video or output any video at all, through any output. Regular or s-video.
I called pioneer and they said,
"Did I try to reset the unit!"
I was aghast at the thought of having to reset a unit with only 17 days of use on it. What happens after a few months down the road? Will I need to reset it often? Whats the problem? Why did it go out in the first place? The tech support person gave me all of the prescribed answers all of which were really lame corporate BS.
Needless to say I returned the unit the next day to J and R.
They were really good about it since they have a 14 day exchange or money back warranty and this was now the 18th day.
Well I came home with the HK AVR 635. $400 more but hopefully less yikes.

I was using the pioneer receiver with a Panasonic DVD S-27 DVD player, a older sony es cd player, a jvc 27 inch stereo TV and Athene speakers all the way around. AF2s in the front.

My rating speaks for its self. I dont care if one of my components is a $1000 or $100 I want it to work and not break down for any non-discernable reason. If I could give this unit a zero I would.
I checked and this unit was made in Malaysia.
Since when did they start making receivers in Malaysia???

Purchased At:   J and R Music World

Submitted by tossers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I can't beleive the quality of this amplifier, for the price at retail. The bass is amazingly tight, and the highs are absolutely beautiful.

Purchased At:   best buy canada