Pioneer Elite VSX-04 A/V Receivers

3.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Submitted by Tanner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review, before I was a bit harsh on the little beauty and have since changed speakers to Klipsch reference series. I have been using the reciever for 3 years now, and can also say that I have nothin but love for the Elite. For music; phenominal. For games; excellent. for movies; there is some room for improvment here. The receiver needs some speaker level adjustments and also could use some bass management. For music this theing excels in everyway, power, clarity and depth. Power is limitless.I am going to use this receiver as my music only receievr and upgrade to a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi for my movies.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Tanner a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have previously owned a minisystem and wanted suround sound so I purchased this receiver.BAD IDEA! this receiver is the worst suround sound receiver ive ever heard. I mean the setup is horrible and no sound modes at all, 5 DSP's and prologic on a 600$ receiver? its not all that bad but if you want surround sound look somewhere else.stereo is good but I cant hear the rear speakers and you cannot set them up never mind every thing else the only thing you can set up is the sound modes which on a 1 bit dac dont make a diference they just add the C and R speakers which you cant hear them anyway whith out using a seperate amp and a seperate external decoder and when in Prologic it cuts out at 400hz forcing you to use a sub and if you dont movies sound better on a TV anyway.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
i bought this on sale and now use it solely for stereo sound. i am very pleased with the sound and power output in this mode. i really think that the surround sound section got the boot for quality. i really like the system for STEREO but look elsewhere for a good quality surround sound setup.

Purchased At:   ultimate electronics

Submitted by Andy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought this as a closeout at AVI, back when Dolby Digital was just starting out. Must admit sales rep warned me that if I was going to upgrade to DVD I might want to consider something else as this only played in Pro-logic. It was early 1998, why would I want DVD? VHS was king right? Now that I have my HT setup, Every time I play a DVD in 5d theater I get annoyed. The center channel Hisses, the rear channels hiss. Drives me bananas. And my wife?
My wife hears none of this..
Which then drives me bonkers!

Don't even try and play music in surround mode, bad bad bad.

Like the sales rep said-great for stereo-cds, radio
Terrible for HT/surround modes

Purchased At:   AVI Electronics, Totowa, NJ

Submitted by Kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
For an older, pro-logic ELITE, it's good. Has worked flawlessly since purchased about 18 months ago. Bass is a little weak all the way around. If you see one hanging around or can score one used, and cheap, get it for your bedroom. Remote is awesome, and has been replaced with lame version on newer models.

Purchased At:   Local Non-Chain Store