Pioneer VSX-72TXV
Description: <ul> <li>Progressive scan DVD players</li> <li>7-Channel powerplant</li> <li>Digital satellite dishes</li> <li>2 HDMI digital inputs</li> </ul>

Submitted by 1025 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
This reciever is great and well worth the money. Bought it on Hypeaudio and save a bundle. The THX select and other features sounds awsome. The ipod set up is great displays right on the TV and functions easliy. The HDMI does not interface well with my Motorola dual cable tuner. Overall all rocks the house excellenct clairty.

Purchased At:   Hypeaudio.net

Submitted by jbrillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer VSX-72TXV is an incredible receiver. I got the 72TXV instead of the 74TXVi because I didn't need the iLink or USB port. The HDMI is great, but be aware that I have heard of people having problems using the HDMI inputs with certain digital cable boxes(don't remember which ones as I'm a DirecTv user....& I have had no problems using HDMI with my HD receiver). If I remember correctly though, the problem is with the cable boxes, NOT the receiver. Check AVSform.com if this may concern you. Also, the 72TXV upconverts but does not upscale. In my opinion, upscaling is overrated. If something is not filmed with an HD camera, it's never gonna look as good as true HD. From what I've read from others & what I've seen, upscaling differences are barely noticeable, not jaw-dropping "WOW" like something filmed in true HD. The worth of upscaling is up to the individual & I looked into it because I wanted to know if it was worth it to me to find a receiver with it. For me anyways, I didn't find it necessary.
Back to the receiver itself. The receiver sounds phenomonal & is actually pretty easy to use once you get the hang of the remote. I previously owned two Sony STR-DE receivers prior to the Pioneer. My last was an 875. The 72TXV absolutely & unquestionably blows them away. The clarity & the seamless transition of sound between speakers is awesome. The difference in sound & sound quality is very apparent even to my untrained ear. I hear sounds on DVD's that I never heard before. It is truly amazing. This receiver & Dolby Pro-Logic IIx even make watching regular non-5.1 boadcasts alot more entertaining. Of course it does everything you normally expect from a receiver. You can watch one thing while using audio from another source, it's got multiple DSP sound fields, it's got every connection imaginable(the connections are assignable), 5-way binding posts for your speaker inputs, & pre-outs for use with an external amp. It also has 2nd & 3rd zone capabilities, XM satellite radio ready(all you need is an XM-antenna & a subscription), iPod connectability(it comes with a special iPod cable that you can use to connect to the receiver), THX certification, Advanced MCACC, & a learning remote.
I really like the Advanced MCACC. I don't know how to properly set the EQ-stuff. I think it does a great job. I also really like the learning remote. I can finally control everything with one remote. If the code for your particluar device doesn't work, you can manually program your remote to "learn" any button from your other remotes.
This receiver is my first venture into higher end electronics and so far I'm very impressed. I feel it was worth every penny. If you're already used to high-end stuff, I can't say if you'll find any difference from your current stuff, but coming from lower end recivers to this is like the difference between night & day. I love it. If you're looking for a new receiver, I recommend that you at least check out the Pioneer VSX-72TXV.
I hope this review helps someone out. Also, for audio reference, here are the speakers I'm using:

Fronts: JBL S312's