Pioneer VSX-49TXi Elite
Description: THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Receiver with i-Link

Submitted by mike krmpotic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased this unit on e-bay for a decent price.It is in mint condition,however the left front channel has no output.It came with all accessories.The remotes glass was shattered.case with ups still pending.I have read the manual 3 times over and I cannot find anything on being able to adjust the front balance,just in case I am doing something wrong.i don't want to take it in for repair just yet.i have tried everything.switching speakers,wires.i tried switching the jumpers.does anyone have this unit with a functional remote that can verify that there is a balance control on the remote.if the unit is fine I don't want to waste the money and look pretty stupid at the same time.i do feel the channel is out.but need verification.thanks

Submitted by PDS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Simply a wonderful sounding receiver. I am running it with Cambridge Soundworks Newton T500, MC150 and M60's and it is great.

Submitted by jllx a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best receiver I have used in my current system. One should read the reviews under the 49tx as well, as the only difference between the 49tx and the 49txi is the firewire/i.LINK attachement, as far as I know. Not only that, it is also the most convenient, easiest to set up, most aesthetically pleasing, and easiest to use receiver that I have owned, and I have used MANY. From the VERY easy and thorough manual (I think Pioneer deserves an award for the manual---it is truly a work of art. I've never seen one from a Japanese product that is this well done) to the "higher than 160 W/channel" sound, this thing is a godsend for anyone looking for an "all in one".

I made a promise to myself after years of excess using Krells, Classe's, Conrad Johnson's, etc... (and going nearly bankrupt in the process)---that I would ALWAYS buy a receiver in order to be more REASONABLE in my hobby (my wife agrees with this edict), and so, I have not used separates since 1995.

The first time you turn this amplifier on (after following the manual to connect to your Monitor and speakers), you are guided through a lengthy and VERY useful setup process which sets your preferences and your speakers using an (INCLUDED) setup microphone (which has a very long cord, BTW).

Once setup, the receiver is VERY easy to use and has a wonderful sound. The remote is VERY easy to use (my wife figured it out without any assistance, and she complains about all my equipment being so complicated). From Bach Organ works by Koopman, to the Police's Synchronicity, to Miles Smiles to "The Game" by Queen...all sources were handled with aplomb. And, I could not detect any significant distortion before hurting my ears upon "turning up to 11"!!!

All in all, Pioneer has found its way back to true respectability with the newer Elite line. I had been disappointed in the past by their products, and was reluctant to try this one, but I'm extremely glad I did. It blows away the Onkyo, and is MUCH more musical and easier to use than the Denons...

Purchased At:   hometheaterphiles.co

Submitted by GmcG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I absolutely don't agree with review no.1 - I use this receiver with 4 Ohm M&K THX 150 system (the original sub exchanged to 350MkII) and surround speakers are in tripole mode (impedance goes down to 2.6 Ohm)... it never shuts down even at the highest power ... that should be the problem of Bose speakers! I've found the info in internet that http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html it can produce 235 W at 4 Ohm ... continious power! (AX10 (European version, VSA - amplifier, VSX-receiver)=49TX - output to speakers the same as 49TXi)
This receiver is a real gem for me.

Purchased At:   online store

Submitted by omarbec a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the price, I thought I was getting everything. Of course, if you use this unit as a preamp, you do; lots of flexibility. However, the amplifier is not high current, therefore if speaker impendance drops at anytime below 6 ohms you have a problems, the unit shuts down. I have Bose speakers which are mostly rated at 6 ohms and if I use the 49TXi at high levels for an extended period of time (more than 10 minutes) it shuts down. I had the Onkyo 989 before and never had this problem, the Onkyo's amp is High Current. I'm thinking about returning this unit, unless I buy a good external amplifier or higher impendance speakers and I'm not willing to go for the extra expense.

Purchased At:   Century TV, Californ