Pioneer VSX 9600S

Submitted by jedei a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I also wnated to check up on the vsx 9700s but it is not listed so I put it in here. I have used it pretty extensely during the years. I power 2 10.2 bose speakers with it. At one time I had my tv, vcr, surround etc wired in and it was great. My cd line in the back has a short in it for the right chemnnel so I run it therough the line. Two lazey to fix it. But thats the only problem I've had. I read a review somewher about a dynaco psa 3 or 4 pre amp that powered up some 10.2 and the guy was blown away. There going for around 500 bucks on ebay. I always see one 9700 on the bay and they can be had for 100 to 150 bucks!
The thing retailed fore over 1300 back in the day. I see old receivers that can't do a third of what it can do going for the same $ so their a bargin. It was one of my better purchases.

Purchased At:   an apartment in 1989

Submitted by djbeaubien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
i know this site is for the vsx 9600 but there is no site for the vsx9700s my cousin got this model new in 1989 for $700 so i knew it was a descent unit.tons of lighted displays and front controls. graet remote.very easy to operate.good power.125 wpc.cool spectrum display for surr level/adjustment/monitor.sleep timer,station call letters,video enhencer.lots of back pannel conections but no sub output.started to have audio problems took it to the shop and went to best buy for a new one.first one was pioneer vsx d811s wasn`t happy with it so i got the kenwood vr 6070 graet reciever loaded with surr modes and THX cert w/RF remote very cool.also have an old sansui G-6700 pure power direct current true 100 wpc. will hang on to that one.if they fix the 9700s i will use it as an amp as it has 5 channel pre ins and outs this has been a graet reciever fully loaded for its time.

Purchased At:   electronic repair sh