Panasonic SA-XR45 A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

• Dolby Digital Decoder (Dolby Digital EX)
  • DTS Decoder (DTS-ES, NEO:6, DTS 96/24)
  • Dolby Pro Logic Surround (Pro Logic II)
  • Subwoofer Level Control
  • Large Speaker Terminals
  • 6-Ch Discrete Inputs
  • 2-Channel Down Mixing
  • Sound Field Control: 6 presets

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've only had this about a month, but I like the sound very much. I bought it wondering what a "digital amp" could sound like. My conclusion is that small, lightweight, efficient amps like these are the future. I think this amp represents a second generation Texas Instruments chip from what I read. One thing to remember when demoing this thing is that Panasonic has all speaker outputs set for "SMALL" by default. Unless you are using the tiniest satellite speakers with a sub you need to set this to LARGE. When this receiver is fed by a digital TOSLINK input, everything is digital upto the digital amp. Be sure to get the XR45 over the XR25. You can find the XR45 online for the same as the XR25's price. You get a few more features like multisource for driving another room. But most importantly, you get an upgraded switching power supply.
If I had to sum the sound up in one word it would be "detailed".

Purchased At:   BH Photo

Submitted by NEAR SOTA a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit inserted in my system for over a week now and I think I can now rate it even though the break-in period is not fully over with.

First off I was more than disappointed in the performance when first trying it out. I did not know what was wrong the first 4days ,but I knew that if this was what to expect I was not going to be giving it more than a rating of 1.The sound was sterile lacked weight and was just bland! After reading the high regard others had using it I knew I was misiing something.

NOTE:”GET RID OF THE STOCK POWER CORD!” That cannot be stressed enough IMO!

Wayne of “The Boulder Cable Co.” has the best solution which is to install the IEC Receptacle in the back so you can by-pass using an Adaptor all together. He is also working on improving the Analog Input Section. Look ½ way down pg. Here:

I knew others had touted it as being close to Krell in performance and I will not go that far. After receiving a Power Cord Adaptor and using my trusted DIY PC from my reference B&K Power Amp everything came in. I also used the Bass\Treble controls to adjust the sound to my liking. I'd advise others experiment with them also .Many people overlook such features.

Being 43 my hearing might not be what it use to be. Dialog and vocals are important aspects which I needed to be clear and focused without the glazed or glaring which I hear in alot of mid-fi stuff\junk. Soundstaging and Bass were good. Not as liquid as my reference Passive setup, but I did not think I'd want to send the unit back in any way. I am not an HT enthusiast and used 2ch. Playback to test. If it did not hold up there it was not be worth testing for HT. The 2ch. Playback is well beyond acceptable IMO for a $300 unit. People say that the Digital Chip or switching Amps are not worthy yet, but it seems they have closed the gap.

Very highly recommended at a selling price of $300 through J&R's Music World. I shall do a follow-up for HT after getting the rest of my speakers in place.

Only reason I gave it a rating of 4 as a very good product is the fact I do not listen to receivers and bought the piece after reading that it was highly regarded.

Thanks for reading!

System:
Speakers: Modified NEAR M50’s
CDP Phillip’s CD-80
DVD Generic Mitek model
Power Cord Adaptor & Bob Crump DIY PC—(RedCobraCable.com)Thanks Jason)Review Forthcoming
Speaker Cable and IC's--My OTA Cable(lawrencegrac@aol.com)

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

Submitted by Abex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I went to listen to this amp tonight and was really impressed by the size and Digital Amp section. I was not able to get a good audition by going to circuit city. What I did get is clarity of the presentation which I am looking for.
Will in all probability be purchasing soon unless given a bad rap for some reason. (will post a follow-up)

There is thread on this unit at the following site and also a C\NET review.

Purchased At:   BB\CC

Submitted by dale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Nice receiver. Plenty of power and great seperation when watching movies. Very good bass output with the line out sub connector. Will detect d.digital or dts without a hitch, not like my other higher priced one. With digital material it really shines, hearing sounds I haven't heard before. It has on screen programing and quite a few inputs. I haven't hooked up the rear center speaker yet, but will when I find one to match my A.R's. I think for the price it can't be beat for the power and features you get.

Purchased At:   etronics