Panasonic SA HE7 Dolby Digital Receiver A/V Receivers

4.13/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $249.95

This Panasonic receiver gives your system a total of 500 Watts of class H+ amplifier output, for amazing sound quality that helps guard against clipping distortion (which occurs when a momentary volume peak requires more power than an amplifier can deliver.) you can also connect a powered subwoofer for awesome fully-discrete 6-channel stereo sound.

- Class H+ Amp circuitry minimizes heat generation, for maximum efficiency.
- Dolby Digital decoder allows you to experience the thrill of today's stunning Hollywood soundtracks right in your family room.
- Full functional remote control provides complete control of the unit from the comfort and convenience of your chair.
- Digital AM/FM stereo tuner processes AM and AM radio broadcasts digitally, locking in on the signal for less drift and reduced distortion.
- Sound field control: hall, club, live, theater, simulated surround.

Submitted by DrTBob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice, clean budget unit.

I'm a fairly serious audiophile--my music system, put together lovingly and carefully over several ears, is a hefty investment. I only mention that to give you some framework for interpreting my remarks.

My old second-generation Yamaha DSP is a wonderful piece of equipment, and it still works perfectly. But it only has the original ProLogic mode (nothing else had been invented et!), and I wanted contemporary capabilities. Now, my old DSP was only that--a signal processor. It fed out to my main preamp for frints, and I had separate receivers to drive the surrounds and the center. I couldn't find anything comparable today--everything's in a receiver. At best, I could have bought an a/v preamp, but one comparable to the rest of my music system would have cost over a thousand bucks, and I would have had to replace the receivers driving the surround and center with a three-channel amp (and rerouting the wiring so that amp drove the front and center), all ending up costing me a couple thousand--and movies aren't that important to me. So I decided to go for the least expensive 5.1/digital receiver I could find.

This unit offers very good Dolby processing, and gaining the newer Dolby modes is quite pleasing. Of course, the old Yamaha, playing through the pricier system, sounded much better in absolute terms--I won't be playing music through this Panasonic unit.

One connect wire that I had been using successfully with my other system had to be replaced--the receiver initially kept overloading, and I traced the problem to that wire. That does suggest, as a less-snaguine reviewer noted, that the unit may be hyper-sensitive to loads. But once I replaced that wire, I've had no problems.

I wouldn't want to use this unit in a large room, or in my music system. But for nice, clean, pleasant Dolby processing for movies, I am extremely pleased.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by tedrik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I can't believe an individual called this Panasonic model (SA-HE100) Substandard!! This Receiver is awesome and enhances all my DVD movies and Satellite programs flawlessly with clear, crisp, clean sound. There are no "spikes"! Of course, you must use "common sense" when operating any electronic product so as "not to" BLOW IT UP! You get so much value in this product it will make you feel like you cheated the store!!

Purchased At:   AAFES (Military Exch

Submitted by vince007 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Unlike most Panasonic products, which usually offer an excellent price/quality ratio, I considered this line of receivers (SA-HE70/SA-HE70K, SA-HE100/SA-HE100K) as subtandard.

They indeed pack a lot of features for the price but are very susceptible to spikes, overheating and they have great difficulty sustaining high-volume for most than 15 minutes.

I blew up a SA-HE100 at one store (while testing some B&W speakers) and my SA-HE70 just started to crap (returning it to the store). I'm re-plugging my 20 years old Rotel.

Furthermore, before failing, the models I've used exhibited random power output fluctuations.

My objective was to invest heavily on the speakers while remaining conservative on the receiver. I guess I'll have to revisit that thought.

Submitted by EricLP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went into Fry's because my onkyo 757 DIED RIP... Anyway, I went into Frys thinking "CHEAP"... I really wanted the Onkyo to last for awhile until I moved to get a new house and a new HT ROOM. Anyway. Instead of buying a 120 dollar system, I saw the Panasonic and thought what the heck I SPLURGE another 20 bucks!

Anyway... Out with the Onkyo ... In with this! Wow! At first I didn't think that it was driving my Infinity speakers like the Onkyo did. But now that I tweaked it out, set everything it up I put on the matrix, Terminator DVD. Dolby Digital and DTS play well in this unit! Effects are just as good as Onkyo! The unit was plenty loud, There was hardly any distortion at the Top end. Seems like for 150 bucks... I coouldn't have gone wrong. I was expecting worse. But, I really think this is an EXCELLENT reciever for the cash. I think I am going to keep this unit for awhile.

Purchased At:   Fry''s electronics

Submitted by up4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
seldom computer/music geek like me would ever hook up a AV-receiver to a computer.
yup!!! that's what I did :)
I used to have Cambridge FPS-2000 computer speakers set... however... I am losing my patient on it... cuz... I cannot stand the sound anymore. (while every night I would spend some time on my another great stereo. i.e. B&W speakers with Marantz Amp)
anyways, this Panasonic AV-receiver really amazed me!!! at such low price, I would never dreamed I could get such a beauty.
I hooked it up with my Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers as my front, and Omage 8" sub, along with a free set of speakers (Quest)-> it was the promotion from Futureshop... paid $229 CDN to get the receiver and free Quest speakers. (3 pieces)
SA-HE7 REALLY has the ability pumping the power into the speakers!!! it's really powerful and detailed sound with a niec set of front speakers.
undoubtly, it could drive any kind of music quite well... no kidding, I use it listen to pop music, classical, vocal and jazz etc. (and watch DVD as well)
if you can find such a good price like I do, I suggest u, BUY it. of course, u, again, gotta have a nice set of front speakers to deliver the clear sound for ya :)

Purchased At:   FutureShop