Onkyo TXSR500 A/V Receivers

4.45/5 (31 Reviews)

ONKYO A/V RECEIVER, 65WPC, DOLBY DIGI, DTS, 4 S-VIDEO IN => Model TX-SR500

Submitted by Just1n20 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
After spending a lot of time researching for a receiver i came across this one, it was going to be the start to my home theater and im glad i chose this one. I found it on ebay refurbished for a lot less then new. after a year of use for home theater and music, it was a fine choice.
Even though it is only rated at 65watts/channel. t works quite well with my room size [12'x12'x8' bedroom] and with my klipsch speakers. DTS and DD sound great. it was easy to setup and has much better design then the Sony STR-DE485 that i bought my brother for his birthday. Sound compared the sony is a no brainer. Onkyo just has better quality amplification even though it isn't as powerful. There are plenty of connections for my DVD, XBox, N64. I love the ProLogic II, great for gaming.
for basic start to home theater, this receiver is perfect.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Frank Butler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
After damaging one of my amplifiers in an unrelated incident I decided to try and go cheap and use just a basic receiver. Egad, the sound quality is terrible on this unit. I am getting my HK Citation amp fixed and going back to separates and taking this receiver to the fire station to use there. Of course, I may be biased as my system was and will be again composed of separates, a B&K AV1030 dolby digital preamp and (3) HK Citation 22 amplifiers (200 watts per channel each). If the sound quality is acceptable to you, then I haven't seen any problems with the unit.

Purchased At:   J&R Music

Submitted by Chrienboy212 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I bought this reciever I had also considred a Pioneer rated at 100x5 that was selling for $199.00. I stayed away from Sony because a friend of mine said that pushing them to hard can blow out the amps. I wanted something that could take anything from Bach to Zeppelin. Although I play electronic and rock muisc the most. I am pushing two Bose 301 Series V speakers and a 10" Powered Optimus Sub with this receiver. One word...EXCELLENT. Pure,Powerful,Clean, Digital Sound at it's best. I use this reciver day in and day out. It's hooked into my computer via the Digital Coax and I play mp3s through it; It brings audio to life. I am 22 and this receiver has survived many parties with much abuse. Purchase one and you will not be disappointed. Purchase some Bose speakers with it and it will be even sweeter. They rate it at 65x5, however, numbers aren't everything considering that it can be heard over 700 feet away from my apartment -outside! Too many good things to name about this unit; Large capacitors to boost audio performance, Huge Heatsink to disipate heat created, moderatley heavy, so you know it isn't cheap either. Very well built. Definately will buy another Onkyo if and when this one wears out.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Dan Briones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit is worth every penny. You get plenty of options to satisfy all of your listening preferences. The sound is clean and can be very loud if you choose so. My listening/viewing room is 23'x 13' and this Onkyo has more than enough power to fill it up with great sound(my volume level is set to around 62 for movies). I use it for watching everyday television also.

The remote is a little funny looking but it works with my Hitachi TV, JVC DVD, and JVC VCR so I can't complain too much.

All in all this is a great addition to any home theater that you will not be dissappointed with.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse

Submitted by Yaohui a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am currently in high school, and I bought a system few months ago, which consisted of a Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver(referb),a Onkyo DX-C380(referb), Monster Cable digital fiber optic, Monster Cable XPHP speaker cable, and a pair of Polk R30 speaker.This system oringinally cost over $1000, but I get it luckly for under $500.I think this receiver is strong, smooth, good looking, and has very good quality sound. My father has been around hi-fi for more than 20 years, and he said this receiver is really good in sound quality. And I am very happy with tis receiver, it's the best receiver for under $300, and once you listen to it, you would not choose anything else.

Purchased At:   J&R