Onkyo TX-SV838 A/V Receivers

4.23/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver for $549.00 at Circuit City as demo model. I had to wait years before price went down from its $1499.00 retail to something more in my range. I always wanted one and have not been dissappointed. This is a great reciever with plenty of power and excellent build quality. I exsperienced the volume control spikes that are mentioned below. All you have to do is call onkyo and they have a free fix for it if your receiver is still under warranty. My volume no longer spikes and the receiver peforms great.

Submitted by Johnny Jennings a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this receiver. Just wish I had the DTS. I guess
this could be a "ask a question review", what-how-is the
best way to add a DTS processor...such a s brand and conv.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the unit about 4 months and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I looked at this unit about a year ago and decided not to jump into the home theater arena then. After finally trying to decide between the Yamaha 2095 and the Sony ES 50 and decided on the Yamaha. Ironically while in Circuit City I saw an open box for $579 and I immediately purchased it. The receiver has a serious lack of bass response but a good subwoofer solves that problem. The speaker adjustments are good and the overall sound is great.

Submitted by Scott Brown a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the 838 for nearly 3 years (I got one of the first ones) and have really enjoyed it. Remote wasn't too cool so I replaced it with a learning remote. I will have to say though, that it gets an F in reliability. I expect exectronics to last longer than 3 years. My 838 developed a problem where it will not power up consistantly and then will power itself off and then after a few seconds back on. After three weeks and two trips to the service center they cannot fix it. Thank goodnnes I have an extended service plan from CC or I would have a very expensive door stop. They are supposed to replace the unit and I hope they make good on their policy. I would be happy with another 838 because it does everything I want it to and worked perfectly until recently. Given my experience and some other postings on this site, I would suggest that everyone purchase an extended warranty with any high end audio product from any manufacturer. These things are so complicated now and have so much software in them that it just makes sense. It is too bad that they do not have an interface to allow them to talk to a computer for diagnostics and software upgrades.

Submitted by Anders Pedersen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned this great reciever for almost 2 years, and it's an outstanding performer - it has an exceptional perspective and a channel separation, I've never heard before at this price. In stereo it performs average, I'd place it among the lower middleclass stereoamps. Not bad.My only complaint, which prevent me from giving this reciever 5 stars, is that I miss a 5.1 input for DTS or MPEG decoders. Upgrading to state-of-the-art DTS is impossible, unless you build it into the reciever - difficult and expensive.
If there were a 5.1 input on the back of this bad boy, I'd give it 5 stars.

60.0 WA BLACK: