Onkyo TX-SV828-THX A/V Receivers

4.14/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by buster2hyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for a number of years and it still sounds amazing. I have it paired with a Technics SH-AC500D Dolby Digital/DTS processor running to NHT 2.5i fronts, NHT 1.5 rears, and an NHT AudioCenter-1. Movies and music sound wonderful, with the soundstage being accurately presented (so much so I find myself turning my head sometimes). In stereo mode, sometimes I have to double-check to see if I accidentally have Pro-Logic mode on, because I could swear sound comes from all speakers. All in all, my system sounds incredible and even after a number of years, I don't have any desire to upgrade.

Even after listening to my brother's setup of a Lexicon DC-1 and Cinepro amplifier (each costing over $5,000)... I'd rather have my setup with $9,000 to spare.

Purchased At:   Laserland Home Theat

Submitted by Henry Mider a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have owned this product for almost 2 years now and I am satisfied with the sound, especially in dolby digital.
I watch a lot of dvd movies and music and they sound awesome!I have noticed differences in some movie recordings, because of different movie studios.One reviewer wrote about the brightness of this unit and he is correct, therefore while watching dvd in thx mode compensates for this. I really like the fact that you can adjust the bass,treble and variable loudness controls while watching or listening in dolby digital.I am only giving it a 3-star rating only because I have not auditioned other systems.

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver several years ago when it first came out. At that time, this product was state-of-the-art! With a built in DB25 connector for AC-3 decoders, THX certification, and the like, this unit was the ultimate in one-upmanship.
However, that was almost 4 years ago.
Today, this receiver would be considered a dinosaur of sorts and would in no way justify it's $1000 asking price. Today, you could easily get a receiver with 100w per channel, 5.1 channel inputs, Dolby Digital and DTS readiness for half that price. (although THX Certification would still cost a pretty penny, even today.)
The plus sides, however, are that this unit has given me unparalleled sound quality (I'm running Cambridge Soundworks speakers from their "Movie Works" package - I purchased these speakers and sub seperately, not in a package,) great power output, no distortion, and the ability to upgrade to Dolby Digital with an external decoder (I use the Onkyo ED301.) You can even use this unit as the center of a multi-room system if you wanted to build one. For whatever reason, though, multi-room systems have never been big in the U.S., so that option in the SV828 is rarely talked about.
There seems to be some complaints about the user-friendliness of the SV828's remote, but to be honest, I feel that if you spend any amount of time in front of a computer, or around electronics, or have even used a scientific calculator, you should have no problems using this remote.

In summary, I would say that if you are an owner of one of these fine products, you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of, and in most cases you still have bragging rights on your block. You've enjoyed this products great sound quality and smart/accurate Motorola DSP chips for many years now. There's no reason to start over - none of the technologies are outdated, and you'd be hard pressed to find another receiver that is as versatile, affordable AND THX certified, even in today's market.

But if you're in the market for a new receiver, and unless THX hardware is high on your list of priorities, I wouldn't buy one of these for more than $300 or $400. You could easily buy something else that's comparable for about the same price and you wouldn't have to buy an $80 DB25 Moster Cable, plus a $400 ED301 to upgrade to AC3. So if THX sound quality is not important to you, this unit is outclassed by other, less expensive products, but if you do care about THX, then even one of these units used can be a bargain.

Submitted by Chuck Keller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased with the outstanding quality of the ONKYO receiver. I bought the receiver when it first became available in December 1996. The receiver has not had any manufacturing defects or other problems. The receiver is running Bose 901 main speakers, an Atlantic Technology 351 center channel speaker, and Atlantic Technology system 350 surround sound speakers, no subwoofer. Connected to the receiver is an ONKYO Integra 606 CD player, Integra DPS-5 DVD player, RCA S-VHS VCR, and ONKYO 301 dolby digital decoder. The receiver's remote is not as user friendly as other manufacturer's remotes. The function buttons and illuminated screen on the receiver are easy to read and operate. The operating manual could have been written in easier to understand language, but, I was able to slowly understand the instructions. Overall, I am very happy with the receiver and would definitely invest in another ONKYO receiver again.

Submitted by Anthony Cler a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
Although I've owned this unit for quite some time, it has served me well. For Dolby Digital, I've been running a Sony SDP9ES with outstanding results. The amps are more than powerfull enough and seem to be of higher quality than most new receivers these days. If I decide to replace this combo, I will probably have to move up to a flagship receiver(Onkyo 939/Yamaha DSP-A1 or Denon 5700) or separates to improve my current sound quality. Even though this unit is quite old, for the price it can't be beat. Four stars by todays standards!

High End: