Onkyo TX-SV727 A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Discontinued Receiver

Submitted by kat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased my TX SV727 to go with my Cerwin Vega's that had blew up my previous cheapie receiver. It was 1995. I paid $660.00 for it after talkng the salesman down nearly $100.00. Without a doubt the best money I could have spent with my budget back then. They both still work flawlessly, and I am still as impressed as the day I brought it home.Loud, crystal clear. As far a the Pro Logic theater..that was state of the art at the time everyone was impressed at my house,. Mostly my family complained about it being too loud for the size of room we were in anyway. I recently downsized to a Sony Bravia home theater, and while I am happy with my choice as far as my tv is concerned , I dont think I will ever be as "impressed" with it for my music. I initially got online to look at how to price my unit for sale, but I think I'm gonna hang on to it a little longer.

Submitted by dude8370 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best recievers at its time. The greatest part of this reciever is the selective tone feature, it will allowe your speaker to sound 10x times better. I have had it for 11 years and it is still working flawlessly, powering Paradigm speakers as the mains and super Zero's as the rears, if you need something to power your speaker this is a good choice.

Purchased At:   one call

Submitted by sawdust 437 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this reciever about a year ago with the intension of powering some JBL E90s and E30s that I mounted in my garage. Its true that she lacks digital capibilities, yet she runs pretty good when shes cranked up for some Stevie Ray Vaughn. I had a couple of Carver M500ts lying around and decided to hook them up, mono blocked to the Onkyo and use her internal amp to power the surrounds. She cooks!

Purchased At:   local stereo shop

Submitted by piccalo_cb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased this onkyo (1996), I was very impressed with the higher end models (Intrgra THX) but due to my budget, I could only afford this model at the time. I purchased an NHT center and a JBL sub (don't know the model numbers) and combined it with my old MCS fronts and sony surrounds. It sounded beautiful however I decided to add a Nikko equalizer just out of curiousity and I was absolutely amazed. I kept the same setup for the past 6 years until I decided that my fronts were to big, bulky, and out of style at this day and age, so I decided to purchase the NHT front pairs, cambridge soundworks surrounds and paradigm 250-300 watt subb (might as well go all out huh -). Put on my Gypsy Flamango cd. Oh my god!! Im in heaven. It feels like i'm actually in a sound recording studio. The speakers and equalizer added demension to the sound as well as enriched the sound quality.
My next purchase will be the SV600 6.1. I want that 6th speaker (don't need an amp or an equalizer becouse of its built in WRAT Wide Range Amplifier Tech)

Purchased At:   J And R Music World,

Submitted by John H. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this unit when it was new and have loveed it ever since. In stereo mode it has a bright soundstage and good seperation. In Dolby Pro Logic mode the sound I found was a little laid back and not as foward. The remote is fairly easy to use and the manual is understandable. The display is bright and large with dimmer option. The unit has a nice fit and finish. Overall, I am very happy with the performance (although, it lacks s-video switching and the new DD and DTS formats).

PANAMAX: