Onkyo TX-SR800 A/V Receivers

4.71/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $889.95

Home Theater Receiver

Submitted by teddy_b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
In reality, I'm only a casual listener, simply because most of my musical enjoyment comes from my iPod. However, I truly cannot describe how much I like an obnoxiously loud action movie on a 5.1 home theater. That's why I decided to checked out some high end equipment. I'm a child of the internet generation, so it is no surprise that the majority of my shopping gets done on their as well. I wouldn't suggest finding home theater equipment on the internet, but when an Onkyo TX-SR800 pops up on ecost.com for $350.00, it's worth the refurbished risk. I couldn't be happier. I've found that the only thing holding me back from getting evicted from my apartment are my speakers. I'm slowly upgrading my speakers to the Newton Series from CSW. For the price, I love 'em. I'm sure they don't sound nearly as good as those super-expensive brands, but for a recent college graduate, these bad boys can bump. Soon enough I'll have everything I need for a truly spectacular home theater - with my prized Onkyo as the cornerstone.

An opinion: When judging your home theater for its "action" capabilities, try one of the first scenes from the movie "Swordfish". The first explosion scene really lets your system have it. It's a great way to dial in your 5.1.

Another opinion: If you're note scared of refurbished equipment, check ecost.com from time to time. I got this thing for $350. Wait, let me repeat that. I GOT AN ONKYO TX-SR800 FOR THREE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!!! It's a nice place to pick up some cheap gear.

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by Alec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was very impressed with the receivers power output while still giving a clear signal. Movies where a real pleasure to watch, i never even knew movies could sound so good. Overall very impressed.

Submitted by idealty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow, this is an excellent reciever. I upgraded from an older Onkyo 575x mainly because I wanted a reciever that had Pro Logic II. But when I thought about it, I said I might as well buy me a reciever that is made for the future and will last me long enough for me to build around it. And that is exactly what I have now with my 800. It has plenty of power, solid build construction, pleasing visual appearance, every surround sound available to date, 7.1 output, THX certification with THX Surround EX, all for less than $1000. For the price, I don't think there is a reciever out there that can beat it. Trust me, I checked. I spent at least 2 months searching the internet everyday, looking at home theater forums, and shopping at different electronic stores spanning 3 different states to find out what is the best reciever for that price with all those features. Of course I was told about the usual top choices: the Denon 3803 and the HK 525. I also listened to the Marantz (not sure which one), the Yamaha 2300, and the Integra 7.3. Basically, I found out one major thing. All of these companies try to use several tactics just to get our (the consumers') money. Also, some stores favor certain brands over others. When it comes down to it, I recommend just going and listening in person to the reciever of your choice and not pay to much attention to what others may think and some stores may tell you. It's good to know what brands are good and it's good to use others' opinion as a guide. From my research I found that those were the best recievers in the $1000 class. Then I used my own judgment. I did not know much about the Marantz and I only found in 1 out of like 10 stores I searched. I personally wanted a well known product that is easliy accessible so that was a turn off. I also didn't like the way the reciever looked and while it sounded good, it didn't impress to the point where it blew away any of the other brands. The Integra is basically Onkyo and I only found that in a small local store as well. For the same reciever in the Integra brand is $200 more expensive than the 800 and I couldn't figure out why. Besides some new colors on the speaker terminals and some slightly more sturdy construction, I didn't think the "luxury" features were worth the extra money. The Yamaha is a favorite for some smaller chains, but others don't have much good to say about it. I found the display to be too simple and the remote control too complex. Also, the reciever was "too" customizable making it a hassle to use. But most importantly, for the same price, it was missing the 7th channel. That left the Denon, Onkyo, and HK, all which I heard great things about. The Denon may sound excellent, but I didn't like the way it looked at all. To me it is an ugly reciever and looks really dull. Also, it costs about $300 more than the 800. So, between the 525 and the 800, I asked around about a dozen stores and at least 10 of them recommended the Onkyo. They said the HK gets too hot and there have been a lot of problems with it's stabilty. I listened to the two side by side and did notice a slightly warmer sound from the HK. But again, the difference wasn't mind blowing. To a casual listener, it would take about 20-30 min of hard listening to notice it. So, the 800 had it all and I got it for $250 less than the retail price. I highly recommend this reciever. You can look it up and see the great reviews for it, but when it comes down to it, you be the judge. Listen for yourself. I was having a hard time deciding and was anxious for help, so I hope this helps someone out there with my same problem.

Purchased At:   bestpriceaudiovideo.

Submitted by NUTNICK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
best sound for thre dollar-Bought for the kids room and let me say this much --GREAT SOUND for the money!!!

Purchased At:   1-800--889-5848

Submitted by LP78 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been interested in the TX-SR800 since the release date in the fall of 2002. Finding this unit for a preview ended up to be very difficult. After searching a 300 mile radius of my home...I started to search online...something I did not want to do. I have always listened to gear before making a purchase. After first auditioning the Denon 3803 and Pioneer VSX-45TX I still liked the sound of my Onkyo 610PRO...a beefy integrated prologic unit from around the turn of the century. After months of reading reviews and getting caught up on the current technologies...I pulled the trigger. My final choice being that I have lived with the Onkyo sound for years. Also that I have never had a reliability problem with any of my Onkyo units. In the end, set-up was easy...I saved a ton of money over retail...I wanted 7 channels, DD, DTS, THX and 100 watts. The digital sound of my new Onkyo TX-SR800 is a bit brighter than my integrated 610PRO. The money I saved over retail I was able to pick up a SVS PB1-ISD (killer sub). The sub makes up for the digital brightness of my new Onkyo. Anyone upgrading from ProLogic or two channel will be glad they did as I am.

Purchased At:   onecall