Onkyo TX-SR703E A/V Receivers

• Absolute ground plate
  • H.C.P.S - massive high current power supply

Submitted by Hasenohrl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this AV receiver a few days ago. I had a Harmon Kardon AVR310 (which died on me - twice). I spent a considerable amount of time researching mid-priced AVRS. After a lot of effort on my part, I came down to the Denon 2106 and this Onkyo. I ended up going with the Onkyo do to ease of set-up, ease of use, recommendation by the repairman who tried to fix my HK (the second time) and the fact that Denon is the "cool" brand (IMHO, when a brand goes mainstream, the quality suffers - think TREK bicycles). I also have very large powered Polk speakers and my research told me Onkyo may drive them better. Denon tend to work better with smaller, high efficiency speakers (Bose).

I think the sound quality of this receiver is awesome, and on par with the Denon. As for set-up, it couldn't have been easier. Granted, I have some experience hooking up my system (various moves), but the instructions were straight forward and helpful. The back of the receiver is well laid-out for connections. And while set-up is easy, there are more than enough parameters to "tweak" for the average audio person. If you think this unit doesn't offer enough setting choices, you're probably in the wrong price-point in your receiver shopping (think over $1,200). Not only was it easy to set up, but the receiver is just as easy to use. I love how you can change sound options with a click of the remote. I will use a Harmony universal remote, but, had I not had it already, the Onkyo remove is very user friendly. Granted, its only be a few days, but I love this receiver. Even my wife noticed the sound difference from the HK and really likes it.

Purchased At:   ABT Electronics