Onkyo TX-SR702 A/V Receivers

• Digital inputs: 5 optical
  • 5.1-channel analog input

Submitted by Moving on Up a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
Great product to watch for on the secondary markets for those interested in music more than TV. Since all the receivers and TV on the market these days need HDMI inputs, it's a great time to buy a really nice receiver like this for your stereo at a fraction of the price. My old stereo was a sad old Panasonic, so the new receiver would have been a huge upgrade regardless. I was extremely surprised at how much of an upgrade this unit was though. The setup screens were fairly easy, and the amount of control over the sound was astounding. The ability to control individual speaker levels, size, and location surprised me. Mine didn't come with the setup mic, but it turned out to be no problem with a little manual effort messing with the settings.

The sound is clear, and extremely well balances once it is setup correctly. I have a set of mixed speakers that would probably make any audiophile shake their head, but with this receiver they sound great. A lot of depth, and I suspect very it could be loud, with 100w/channel, but my space is too small to really push the limits.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by BeEvil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to re-iterate what has already been said about this amazing A/V receiver. Tons of user assignable inputs, THX select certified, component upconversion, aluminum chassis and faceplate, lots of power, 2nd powered zone, great learning, backlit remote, beautiful looks, set up mic with room equalization and I haven't even touched on how great the TX-SR 702 sounds. Way too many features to name. Amazing sound, built to last.

This is one component that will hold its value for a long time to come but you won’t see many on the used market as no one will sell it once they've listened to it.

Purchased At:   JR.com

Submitted by Titus a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
I replaced my Sony STRDE -780 (ES series) with this and the difference is night and day. I've had 2 sony HT systems so far and they have both had problems - the last one had a nasty habit of going into protection mode if the banana plugs in the back and into speakers weren't perfectly inserted.
But enough about inferior sony product. The Onkyo sounded so much better through the same speakers (Mission 74i, floorstanding) especially music cds. The setup mic for speaker placement is an excellent idea and takes all the hassle out of setting up the room. It also has a function called pure audio that will switch off all non-essential electronics to reduce the chance of interference from other components. Not that I've noticed this being a problem in any other listening mode. The main reason I bought the onkyo is because it has powered zone2 so someone can listen to a dvd in one room while another room is playing music from another source e.g. cd or radio. This amp has lots of power, too many functions to mention and is THX certified for those who give a damn.
Unbelievably, onkyo isn't really that well known in New Zealand!
For functionality, relative ease of use, sound quality and competitive price there weren't really any other HT amps that I saw that could match this one.

Purchased At:   Stereoworld

Submitted by JCM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of looking for a good home theater foundation. I read quite a few of the reviews here and looked around at what people were using.

Submitted by franin30 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Before purchasing this product I had a Yamaha RX-V750. I thought that was great, but I wanted to update my amplifier so I can have it better than great. I tested the Yamaha RXV-2500(which is not worth the money), Denon 3805(same) and the Onkyo TX-SR702. I first tested the Yamaha which unfortunatley sounded like my 750( No diffrence at all and playing music still sounded useless TRUST ME!), to me by spending all that money ($2500), I was only going to get THX, slighty more wattage and a great GUI. The only problem was the way it sounded(No diffrence from any other Yamaha,mind you I have not tested the Z9). I then looked at the DENON 3805 and that beat the yamaha by sound and quality. That was a good amp but the remote was no good at all,the design wasn't appealing and the price( Mind you it was the same as the Yamaha, but I would of bought the Denon instead of the two). Then I tested the Onkyo and that was fantastic. We put on Resident Evil 2 and the church scene was fantastic even the music was great as a back drop. We put on some dance mucic and the reciver handled much,much,much better than the other two. This reciever had everything the other two amps had, but a much better price,sound and quality. A friend of mine said "best to test an amp with music than with movies, because if it plays music good it will defenitley sound good with movies". The sales guy at another av shop told me the yamaha is only good with movies not with music and he was right. Also the Onkyo doesn't have all that fancy DSP that the Yamaha has because once you use the setup mic( they all have parametic equaliser) it sets it up for your room, if you decide to use spectacle(only found in Yamaha, I think)your changing the EQ settings which makes the setup mic a waste of time. Basically I have to admit I was blind by thinking at first that the yamaha was great but testing the other brands I found that the Hometheatre world had just gotten better.

Purchased At:   jb hifi