Onkyo TX-SR700 A/V Receivers

4.17/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

Onkyo TX-SR700 DD, DTS, PLII, DTS-ES DD-EX Surround Sound A/V Receiver

Submitted by zeal82 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how many microfarads does the Onkyo Tx-Sr700 has. I'm looking to buy this receiver and curious to find out if it would be able to handle my speakers. My denon 1604 sure has trouble.

Submitted by Licenseduser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to go in my apartment. I am using just 2 speakers as I am not really intrested in home theatre. This unit has beautiful sound and power to spare. The controls are not complicated to learn. The learning remote is a big plus. I can control the TX-SR700 and my DX-390 CD player all from the same remote. I high recommend Onkyo products. I have owned a couple recievers in the last 6 years and all have been winners.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by gonefishin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
The TX-SR700 is a very nice unit. Controls are easy to learn and well layed out. Menus are easy to navigate and can be displayed on television. Remote is a learning remote. I do not understand the reviews that complain the TX-SR700 has no power. This baby has more power than my ears and take. I am currently using 2 speakers on the front as a standard stereo so I can not comment on the surround performance. Runs rather cool.

Purchased At:   Circuit City as Demo

Submitted by jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
one of the best recevers for price

Submitted by Brent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of reading on this unit before I bought it and thought I was on the right track until I took it home to listen to it in my space. My room is 25ft long by 15 feet wide with Energy Connoisseur speakers and a 14 inch sub from definitive technologies. From the beginning I thought it was OK but that it did't have enough power. I was told 100 watts per side in Onkyo meant lots of power. Unfortunately I had to turn it up to 70-80 (max is 100 on volume) for movies and at least that for music. I found the unit straining at these high levels and not as much information coming out as I had hoped. That being said I didn't find the sound bad but the center channel clarity was not quite there and it sounded a little bright for my liking. I listened to movies and to music and just found the unit a little lacking. I ended up grabbing the yamaha rx-v2300 and find it significantly more powerful with a much smoother...as they say natural sound with several more DSP modes for custom listening. (not that I am a big DSP guy, but I do like several of the modes on this unit) The center channel sound is much better on this Yamaha, it is much clearer and pleasant to the ear.

Purchased At:   Visions