Onkyo TX-SR603X A/V Receivers

• XM Satellite Radio
  • Two-channel source

Submitted by George Biallas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great receiver for home theater. Well satisfied with sound and features.
A few limitations in the features that I didn't expect.

The best recommendation is that once I programed around the limitations of the macro buttons, my wife uses just this receiver's remote for all functions and is totally happy with the simplification the macros provide her. This is the way to win the gals over to a complex system.

Submitted by rockran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
My last amp was a HK and while I was satisfied with it, it never quite had the highs I like listening to. This receiver rocks... and I use it mostly for music.. my music taste range from Dire Straits to Police to Pink Floyd. The amp performed beautifully right out of the box. The setup is quite easy and very intuitive.
This amp doesn't run HOT like some have said. My cabinet is open from behind so maybe that makes a difference.. but compared to the HK this is not hot at all.

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman NZ

Submitted by gary935 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
Even though this was a refurbish product, it had no cosmetic imperfections, as a matter of fact it looks brand new. All items came with the receiver as nothing was missing.

I brought this to replace a Pioneer Elite 24TX that died.Needless to say I thought I was taking a step backwards but this unit sound just as good if not better then the Pioneer Elite it is replacing. The Pioneer Elite had 90 watts per 5 channels while this Onkyo has 90 watts (Real watts) per seven channels. I have been able to reproduce an obscene amount of sound with this Onkyo unit.

I'm usually not a person to read the manual but I do advise so when using equipment with components output. You have to go into the onscreen display to assign each video source. Imagine my fustration when I was unable to get a picture and thought right away that I was given a faulty unit.

Once I settled down and read the section on connecting equipment, viola picture and sound.

I've had this unit going on to three weeks and while it may be to early to give a really good review, I am very happy with the performance and video quality this unit puts out.

I was not happy to see the lack of pre-outs, but with that said in the 6 years I had the Pioneer Elite I never used the pre-outs as well so nothing gain or loss.

The picture quality is better then the Pioneer Elite, but in all fairness the Pioneer Elite only had s-video inputs not components. Still I was amaze to see no degradation with the picture quality.

All in all I think you will be happy with this receiver. Top Onkyo quality. I was so impressed I also brought their 6 disc DVD player and I am impress with that as well.

Purchased At:   Accessories4less.com

Submitted by ozauz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had many audiophile components in the past and let me tell you that I am floored by this receiver’s performance in stereo out of the box. I have a small room so I don’t need a lot of amps, even if this amp runs at half of the watts its suppose too run I will have plenty of juice. I only had to plug in my center channel and left right speakers, ran the pain free setup that lasted 3 minutes, and WOW! Miles Davis's trumpet was in my room. There is no way a component this inexpensive should sound this good! I can’t wait for burn in to mellow the sounds even further. Having been impressed by stereo, I put “Pirates of the Carabien” in the DVD and set up the scene where the pirates attack the city at the start of the movie. Everything was well placed and explosions carried a crisp detailed boom followed by a pleasing debris shower. Subsonic detail was impressive and created a wide field of sound and this is without a subwoofer. I was very impressed by the amps ability to drive my three front speakers to deliver such low base. Next I wanted to check out performance with my HD cable. I found a documentary in HD about military helicopters; the receiver did a wonderful job reproducing the thump-thump-thump of the blades and missile fire realistically tracked from right to left. Having enjoyed myself with multi-channel, I had to return to stereo did it really sound that good? Put the amp back into stereo mode popped in Thievery Corporation’s “Richest Man In Babylon” and I was amazed by this box’s ability to reproduce detail, I could make out individual sample loops on each song. Bongos were hollow and echoed in ways that should be out of this receiver’s ability. Vocals were easily located on the sound stage and I could make out sound effects, like chorus, added to the singer’s voice. I wanted to push the Onkyo to its detail limit so I got Deangelo’s CD Voodoo and put on “How does it feel”, first thing I noticed was the absence of sound during moments of silence, this machine is trying hard not to color the music. Next, the base cuts the silence like a machete and Deangelo’s rich falsetto spread over me like smooth peanut butter! I love this machine! If you are looking for a Swiss army knife of audio, that wont break the bank, this is the ticket. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   5ave.com

Submitted by netsman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
i can't believe there aren't more reviews for this receiver, after my sub died i decided to upgrade my system althogether so the first thing in my shopping list was a receiver that was considerably better than my old one.
so i researched online , went to stores, at first i was thinking of buying an htib again then i saw this receiver at circuit city and i said to myself man i whish i could get this receiver instead of the one with the htib, but it was pretty expensive at circuit city , but then i found it so cheap i couldn't resist.
i was looking for power,looks,connectivity,features. other receivers had one or two of these qualities but only the tx603 had it all.
i have the tv,ps2 ,xbox plugged to it and still have room for more.
i like all the features specially intellivolume.
i have this baby powering fluance speakers and an athena sub.(don't copy my setup)

Purchased At:   6ave.com