Onkyo TX-SR502 A/V Receivers

• Component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
  • Digital inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial

Submitted by Mike D a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
This receiver worked well with a very casual home theater setup I had. However, when matched with my JBL L-46 speakers, the sounds is harsh and tinny. Overall, pretty good for home theater, not as good for plain old listening to music. Unfortunately, I'm more inclined to flip in a CD than crank up a DVD.

Submitted by Boltergeist a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I originally chose this 502 over yamaha and hk due to additional features at this price (such as pre-outs all channels, a&b speakers). Set up was quite easy and the manual was easy to follow, even with no osp. The sound for both music and ht was very good, although I felt it may be slightly under-powered for the 12x24 room , with one end 1/2 open to kitchen. But it was a clean, detailed sound, not too bright, no distortion. I have paradigm speakers with sub in a 5.1 ch set up. My tv audio signal was lower than dvd, and I needed to run it at over 50db (I believe the scale was 0-70) for a small super bowl party. Then, after about 2 weeks the center channel died. It would occaisonally come back and then go out again, crackling when that happened. I decided to return the unit and go with another brand, as it appeared there were quite a number of refurbs on the market for a 2004 model. (Note this is a 2004 model, this review would not let me enter 2004 above).
But, overall I enjoyed this unit, so I rated it an overall 4, assuming you do not have a bad unit.
My next choice was a yamaha 5740, which I also returned as I did not like the sound (among other things). I wound up spending a bit more for an hk 235, which I am happy with. I'll review those in near future.

Purchased At:   j&r

Submitted by hadhn a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was considering between Denon AVR 1604 and Onkyo 501 and eventually decided to pick up Onkyo. Running to the shop with enough money but that model (Onkyo 501) had sold out already so I had to wait several days. One week later, they informed me of a new model (Onkyo 502)just arrived: more advanced, more powerful and much better remote control with the SAME price. Holly sh*t! No hesitation!

I never thought a change of amplifier could make such a big improvement on sound quality until my speakers were connected to this monster (12.5kg) People around my home started to complain about the thunder from my room when I watched movies. That amazing result implied a very high power consumption so I checked the backside of the receiver: an incredible 470W/h. Oh my poor electricity bill!

While I was totally impressed by the surround sound, I was a little bit less impressed by the stereo. Obviously no one expects aodiophile level for a budget receiver but its impression with surround brought me some hope for the same result with stereo. Anyway, I'm happy with this one.

I finally found out that the additional weight of Onkyo 502 over 501 comes from bigger aluminium heatsink. I guess Onkyo increases 502'w power so it needs more efficient cooler system.

Purchased At:   Hai Ba Trung Str., H

Submitted by dranreb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
this one of the best receiver,good sound quality w/my wharfedale speaker...and this is a 75 watts per channel but as if
u're listening to 100 watts per channel...
i will recommend this receiver to anyone.

Purchased At:   sm mega mall phil

Submitted by ducatisl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
For $300 this cannot be beat. For $165 (recconditioned) it's an outright steal!

Setup is relatively easy. Integrates well with my Infinity, Boston, SVS 5.1 speaker setup.

The Hero DVD is sparkling lifelike. Dts vs Dolby digital differences can actually be noticed. Standard Pro Logic decoding from cable box 2-channel digital source via SPDIF is probably about the best that can be attained from that format.

When combined with my 300W SVS subwoofer, there is more than enough power (75W x 5 plus 300W) for the moderately sized HT room.

Purchased At:   eCost