Onkyo TX-SR501 A/V Receivers

• DTS Neo:6 modes
  • Wide Range Amplifier Technology
  • 96kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • CinemaFILTER
  • component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)
  • digital inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
  • 2 audio, 4 A/V (including 4 S-video, 1 front-panel, and one 5.1-channel) inputs

Submitted by hengzhou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I setup this little guy in my family room for kids. I don't want them play with my system. So I tested it with my other best conponent.

D/A convert is not quite good. When I like it with RCA cable, the sound is far more better than digital cable. If you have a good DVD or LD player, please use analog input.

Submitted by Arienrhode a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a great reciever all around. It has 2 optical and one digital inputs, 3 A/V, CD, phono, tape, and even discreet 5.1 inputs. All of the video inputs have s-video inputs, and it can do component video switching for DVD and/or one of the A/V inputs.

Other features I like include the crossover for the main speakers, three subwoofer modes, Dolby Digial EX & DTS ES, Cinifilter, and late night viewing mode. The Cinifilter and late night viewing options may seem gimmicky but they work well and are useful.

Audio wise the unit works quite well. I am using Athena F1 mains, the C1 center, and the R1 surround with 12 ga. cable. The soundstage is wide open and it fills my small room with sound. I am not well versed in technical lingo, but it sounds a lot better than my Denon DRA-395 stereo reciever and both of the Sony A/V recievers I tried on it.

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by cebbigh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
This unit replaces an HK/225. The price includes shipment. It is an incredible deal. The main reason I looked to replace the HK/225 was because it's crossover is limited to 100hz. After upgrading my speakers (3 BIC dv62clr speakers in front and 2 BIC dv62si as surrounds & HSU-stf10 as subwoofer) I wanted more flexibility in the crossover
selection. I know other HK receivers do have that option, but after reading that
Dr. Hsu has a positive opinion of the Onkyo and seeing the extremely low price at ecost, I felt it was worth a try. I am nothing but impressed. I have the x-over set at 80hz and speaker settings to small and the sound on dts and dd5.1 is
just incredible. For movies the Onkyo/501 far outperforms the HK/225. I have been amazed how much more specific the Onkyo is at directing specific sounds to specific speakers. The HK/225 did a very good job, the Onkyo/501 does it better. As far as listening to programs using PL2 I also give the edge to the Onkyo/501..but it is not as big an edge as movies. Yes the HK/225 has logic 7 which is nice to have, but to be honest, 95% of the time I found myself using PL2 when the choice came down to those 2 formats. The remote for the Onkyo is straight foward and logically laid out. If you are debating getting an Onkyo/501, I recommend you go ahead and get it. As far as purchasing a refurbished receiver through ecost, the unit I received was supposed to have had a superficial blemish that I have yet to locate. It is in mint condition as far as I can tell. Ecost did ship the wrong remote, but after I brought it to their attention they agreed to reimburse the cost of the remote and shipping from Onkyo with no quibbling. I am satisfied in all aspects with this purchase.

Purchased At:   ecost

Submitted by max64 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
was torn between the Onkyo 501, Yamaha 5640 or Yamaha 5650. I read a lot of reviews and I owned a Yamaka Rx-V 630 before so I knew how the Yamaha sounded in general. Because I heard so many people and reviews brag about the Onkyo I went and got myself the Onkyo 501 for 199$. It took me a while to setup, since I was so used of the Yam setup. Finally I had everything up and running and spend another hour fine tuning the different sound settings until I got it right. I must say that I was very impressed about the sound and even more about the stereo sound.That's something the Yamaha just can't compete cause no matter what and how I tried I was never able to get a good stereo reproduction with the Yamaha. Now I enjoy listening to my favorite cd's. Movies in Dolby and DTS are very transparent, clean and crisp. Dolby Prologic II works perfect when listening to the TV. The rest of the surrounds don't mean much and that is the only thing the Yamaha can't be beat. The remote is well laid out. Some functions don't work with the remote so you need to get up and change them on the receiver. My biggest complaint I have is that compared to Yamaha the Onkyo looks very cheap and lightweight. Just try lifting up the Onkyo 501 compared to a Yamaha 5640/5650. The Onkyo also scratches very fast. The Yamaha is just a solid well finished receiver. Bottom line. I finally kept the Onkyo as I think it performs excellent in movie and audio and paid 199$. Before I forget the back panel has enough in and outputs to keep you sweet for a while.

Purchased At:   Fry's electronics

Submitted by jpjones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
On the basis of three professional and the user views listed, I ought the Onkyo TX-SR501. It is everything the reviews said it was. I am using a pair of Polk RTi100's, each of which has a powered subwoofer, plus a free standing Yamaha YST-SW105 sub with an 8" sub. For the surrounds I am using a pair of twenty year old two-way Fried Q/4 speakers, each with a 8" bass driver. If you think that does not rock the house, think again. This receiver is all you could want and does all you want. For this price you cannot go wrong.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse