Onkyo TX-SR303 A/V Receivers

• coaxial digital inputs
  • S-video inputs

Submitted by RDC98TDi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great over-all receiver. I bought this mainly for the 5.1 analog inputs for SACD listening. Using coax or optical on a SACD removes half the point of the DSD and less processing, and this thing has excellent clarity on the 5.1 in. I use this mainly for my PC with just a stero in, so the surround effects are very usefull for playing video games and watching movies to create a pseudo-surround. Has plenty of input sources for my needs, but it could use some more digital ins. The only other complaint is the meager power output. My front speakers hooked to this are 4 ohm dual 8 inch woofer speakers and this thing has audible clipping around 55-60 with bass heavy tracks. Also, I notice the low frequency drops off slightly around here due to the low impedance. I have a Carver PM-600 amp for my other system, and it will push my 12 inch CV woofers to full excursion and barely break a sweat, but then again, its a pro amp.

Submitted by djc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I agree with Smata67's review. Yes it only has 1/1 digital ins and outs but again for the price, you can't complain. This is an awesome lil unit. I use it in my bedroom with 4 JBL Control1Xtreme speakers and an Athena ASP-300 sub. The center channel is a Celestion CSC. Awesome sound quality, excellent Tuner, well laid out remote. would like it back lit though! Clean presentation and good channel separation. A can't miss even at retail !!

Purchased At:   shoponkyo.com

Submitted by smata67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
I wanted an inexpensive, high quality DD receiver and got it with this unit. The sound is truly impressive, very clear and clean, the wattage fully adequate for my 400 sf home theater room.

This receiver also has an exceptional FM tuner, great separation and clarity. I listen primarily to OTA classical when not enjoying CDs and this tuner is just plain stunning.

I would give it a solid 4.5 stars, falling short a bit due to the fact that it only has a single optical and single digital coax capability.

The Onkyo lineup overall offers great receivers of excellent value, particularly when purchased as refurbished units. Mine was obtained from shoponkyo.com, looked new. Would have happily paid full price for this receiver, though.

Purchased At:   shoponkyo.com