Onkyo TX-NR901 A/V Receivers

• 30 Internet radio station presets
  • Dual-room/dual-source A/V output

Submitted by phipiper10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've had this receiver for a little over a year now. It was purchased from Ubid.com refurbished for $750 - Refurbed for cosmetic reasons according to the Onkyo sticker on the box. I only found a slight scratch on the volume dial which really isn't visible from more than a foot. I upgraded from a Pioneer receiver that was about a decade old. Needless to say this was a huge upgrade. I started out reading reviews comparing specs etc. and like many others buying audio equipment for the first time I went to the big box stores compared the models they had and the Onkyo beat out the others hands down. The sound was just superior clearer and fuller, more presence overall. A couple of the others I listened too sounded like fisher price in comparison. They were really bad, really.

H/K/Denon/Yamaha also make nice receivers in this range and sound very nice but in the price/feature category this receiver had it all(for me). If you've read other reviews you'll know that the net-tune features are not what they should be. That said if you have a large library of mp3s this will serve you very well. It's an excellent feature to have so much music available via remote. I previously had a 300 disc pioneer CD carousel now I have thousands of albums available at my fingertips. The internet-audio feature I really haven't used much but seems useless to me. There are few stations and the quality is not good.

The receiver has preouts so you can hook up an amp which I've done. The Rotel 990bx amp puts 200wpc on my mains to take a little strain off the the Onkyo for home theater. (Speakers are Polk RT800i in front and matching surrounds and hsu vtf -2 for sub)

This is a great starting (or stopping point for anyone just getting started) in home theater. It has enough to do everything you need. There are plenty of ins and outs coax/optical analog, composite, component, s-video etc. (No HDMI but almost none did at this point in time.)

As I said this thing has a ton of features and for me it's been a starting point for building a high quality audio system. I've started with a separate amp and at some point will get a nice pre/pro but for now it does too much to let it go. I'll get a better CDP and speakers before I get a separate pre/pro.

I've have no complaints with it's performance. I don't see how you could do better at least at the price I paid.

Purchased At:   ubid.com (refurbishe

Submitted by ceggel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to replace my Yamaha. I think this is the best reciver I heard and I went to circuit city to compare the Harman kardon avr-630 to the onkyo TX-NR601. The sound of the Harman Kardon sounded very high not much in the mid range. The Onkyo sounds very rich and full in the highs,mids,and low end.I don't really care for Denon, the warranty issues.I like the features on the TX-NR901 but it is a little harder to set up.I really like the fact that I don't have to turn the volume up when people talk and then down when an action scene happens.

Onkyo TX-NR901
Toshiba 4900
klipsch kg 5.2 mains
klipsch kg 2.5 rears
klipsch RC-3II

Purchased At:   J&R Music/Computer W

Submitted by ceggel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was looking to up grade my receiver and was deciding on three brands. The first was a Harman Kardon avr-630, Denon avr-3805,and Onkyo Tx-nr901.I researched and found problems about the other two receivers, and I'm glad I bought this one.The set up on this receiver takes some reading but the features are awsome. The center channel sounds crystal clear,rears are loud but not over powering,the sound is just smooth.I listened to lord of the rings and you can hear the sound of the voices while the fighting was going on.I use to turn the volume up to hear the voices then down because the fighting scenes were to loud.I have satellite and I love the video up convertion now I use componet instead of s-video.The all channel is great now I can hear all the speakers instead of just the two stereo speakers.I can't wait to hook up the ethernet and listen to internet radio.I am very glad I decided to buy this receiver.

Onkyo TX-NR901