Onkyo TX-DS898 A/V Receivers

• Non-Scaling Configuration
  • 9 Digital Inputs / 8 Assignable
  • 7 x 160W/CH at 6 ohms
  • 7 x 130W/CH at 8 ohms
  • 2 Digital Outputs (1 Coax & 1 Optical)
  • IntelliVolume Input Calibration System
  • Dual Subwoofer Outputs
  • Multi-Room / Multi-Source Capability
  • Back-lit Learning Macro Remote with LC Display

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by K9thunder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
    I picked it up from eBay (Goodwill auction) for $82 shipped.

This awesome receiver replaced my highly rated Vincent Audio tube solid state int amp (both Stereophile and multiple TAS awards). I listen to mostly 2 ch audio and infrequent use to watch movies.

Wow - the 2-ch amp is one of the best I've heard! I have owned over 50 amps in last 25 yrs from tube, tube solid state hybrid, digital, vintage solid state and newer solid state from US, Japanese, European to Chinese (real bang for buck) with this unit being the cheapest to $5k.

One downside is that the sub out is not working but it just might be the issue with the receiver as-is since bought it used.

Submitted by Worf101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I was looking to upgrade my main HT/Music receiver after getting an HD TV for the bedroom. I'd previously been using an Onkyo 787. While I had problems with that receiver, they weren't enough to put me off the entire Onkyo Brand. I examined all the models and felt that the Onkyo SM900 was the way to go.

However I saw a used 898 Demo on Ebay for $750.00 and it was close enough for me to pick up. So I went that way instead. I don't need cable radio stations with I've HD cable that gives me 35 channels of commercial free music 24-7. Other than that feature... there's no difference between the 900 and 898.

After a month I've no complaints, noticed no problems. I'm using Ohm Walsh F's Ver.2's as my mains and they're hard to drive but the Onkyo seems up to it. I love component switchin etc. Remotes, light, easy to use etc... Dolby Prologic II is a distinct improvement when watching dated material.

Purchased At:   Private Sale (Demo)

Submitted by netman8762 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
    I like the Onkyo receivers. I was a Sony addict until two years ago when I bought the Onkyo TX-DS797. I became addicted and have now purchased the TX-DS898 for the 7.1 amp and the extra power. ( TX-DS&(& on Ebay, very reasonable ) The 898 has all of the advanced features that you could possible want. I am a Home Theater enthusiast and I love the composite to S-VHS conversion. I only wish it went to compnent like the 989 ver 2. As far as 2 channel music, I think that this receiver is one of the best that I have used. The sound is enveloping but not over done. I think that several of the reviewers here could of benefitted from the use of an EQ unit and the notorius cure that some people seem to prefer. I like my music to sound the way that is was intended. With the 898 I can hear the production differences between different producers. Very clean, very flat response. The remote is a pleasure. For the first time in years I am able to operate my entire system easily with one remote. My wife and 11 year old son can even use it. The power reserves are very impressive even with the Paradigm S 100's. They are truely "driven". I have used the Anthem MC2 amp and the Onkyo compares favorably. This amp is a great deal for the money. If you can afford it get the 989 V2 or the 5800 but if you are on a budget try the Onkyo 898. Most of you will not be dissapointed.

Purchased At:   OneCall.com

Submitted by Vuong James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
    After many years of saving and intentionally waiting for the right time when home theatre is really in its mature stage (ie. high techs and reasonable price), I decided to invest in a HT system. Spending most of the time available on weekends listening to various brand (Amps), and impressed by them all, such as Denon, Yamaha and Sonny, I decided the Onkyo 898 would be the best investment for the next many years of late night movie entertainment.

The Onkyo 898 surpasses all other amps (in the price bracket)that I have listened to with its nice, elegant and clean front panel, 7.1 channels of equal clean power, THX certified, good selection of DSPs, Pure audio, excellent remote control and a large number of inputs. The sound is clean, full and powerful both for movie and music reproduction. My system comprised of: Pioneer 633 DVD player, Jamo Classic 10 front, Jamo D5CEN (thinking of upgrade to D8CEN)centre, Jamo D8SUR surround and Bozak souround back speakers.

I used to listen music through my H-K amps, Linn LP12 Ittok Accuphase and Dynaudio Profile 2. Now I mainly listen to DVD/CD through the Onkyo. May be I am converted??

Purchased At:   In Australia

Submitted by dgrlogic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
    I own this receiver for one month. I couldn't be happier.

This outstanding receiver plays lively music that is natural and warm sounding. It produces an impressive sound stage with a remakable separation of different sounds that sound realistic.

This receiver is easy to setup in its Basic Menu mode and has an Advanced Menu mode with features for those that like to fiddle. It has enough inputs and outputs for the future expandibility of a growing Home Theatre system.

For watching DVD movies, the excellent CINEMA sound modes for DD PL II 5.1, DTS 5.1/6.1 ES, and THX 7.1 all sound great. I have used all of them depending on the DVD source material. The sound separation of the special effects is very dynamic when sent in different directions to the front, surround, and surround back speakers. I have watched Jurassic Park and nearly jumped from my seat when the T-Rex snuck up growling out of nowhere in one scene. The sound effects were that believable.

For 2 channel source material I like to use the DD PL II sound. I like listening to the Barbara Streisand IMPRESSIONS CD. It sounds so warm and real like she is in the room with you singing, what a voice, simply marvelous, the music sound too is very warm, natural, and remarkably reproduced, simply marvelous.

The DSP sound modes are very interesting and sound good too, depending on the source material. You have to match them up with the source material to get the greatest benefit. I prefer to use the DD PLII music mode for everything musical. It makes it easier for me and sounds fantastic.

The remote is easy to use. I like the center button. It is similar to a computer mouse for selecting the on screen display menu items.

The front panel display is clear and precise showing the input component you have selected and the volume. It can be changed on-the-fly to display the sound mode that is currently selected.

This receiver remembers the sound mode that you have selected separately for each component making it easier for you when you switch between different components. The sound modes can also be pre-configured depending on your taste.

There are more great features about this receiver that I would need more room than is available here to describe. However, you can tell by my review that I am immensely satisfied with this receiver.

This Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver's build quality, its feat