Onkyo TX-DS797 A/V Receivers

4.16/5 (100 Reviews)

THX Select 6.1 Channel Digital Surround Receiver with THX Surround EX

The new TX-DS797 offers you a major breakthrough – the ability to turn your house into a digital multimedia dream – without draining your savings account. Not only is it equipped with enough inputs and outputs for the most elaborate systems, it has plenty of high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth power to fill even large entertainment rooms, and dual-zone operation. 192 kHz/24-bit D/A converters for all 6 main channels deliver powerful, precise sound. Plus, it can handle virtually any multichannel format out there – today and tomorrow – including DVD-Audio and THX Surround EX.

Submitted by Leonzki a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This thing is not that good. Very poor performance but anyway, I just got it from a number game (last 2 digits of Thai lotto). I still prefered my super A/V receiver which is the NAD T770. I think most of the product of Onkyo are toys (for me huh!) no offense meant.

Submitted by hbd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
As I sit here this 797 has been in the shop for 8 weeks now...and they are still waiting for "a part".It played well for about a year and then the POPPING started.With as many people posting here with the same problem you would think Onyko would have issued a recall or at the least had a quick fix ready!Well I gave up waiting and purchased the Denon 4803r...so far greatly out performs the 797.When it finally returns I will use it in my wife and children's den...assuming it does return.Will never use another Onkyo product.

Purchased At:   cambridge soundworks

Submitted by Worf101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver for my bedroom system. I'd been using my old Onkyo 787 for this system but I sold that to an ex-girlfriend for her first system. I've using this receiver off and on for about a year now.

My bedroom system is:
Onkyo 797 AV receiver
Platinum Audio PT 801s as mains
BIC plastic crap for rears
BIC 53CLR Center channel
Yammi DVC920 DVD Player
HDTV Cable
Samsung 3297 HDTV

I've had absolute none of the problems detailed here in earlier posts (knock wood) I hope I got a later model that's not prone to the dread "click". Onkyo works smooth as silk with all the aplomb of it's bigger brothers. Great value, great remote, easy setup.

Since I'm running HDTV and a Progressive Scan DVD player, dual component inputs is nice to have.

Purchased At:   Online Aution, Ebay

Submitted by tannie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
The receiver is really awesome. The difference is made right after I turn it on. The power is immense, and yet well controlled. Even I turn it at floor shaking volume, it still firmly controls all details of each speakers.

I have a system that is far from being 'good'. My main speakers are made by small factories in China. Good frequency balance but poor in fine details. I have a HECO center speaker, loud but also rough. My surround are small Ditton speakers with not so good sensitivity. The sub is the best among all speaker - Velodyne CT80. After a few tuning of volume and distance, all speakers start to sound in harmony! I always turn on the upsampling feature of the amp since the first day! It sounds much finer and naturer for all genre!

With this tight budget, the amp truely out performs my expectation! Even playing the same 'song' at different volumes, I can feel its authority, its solidness, its richness, its ease and is tense!

Unfortunately I have the experience of the 'click... click... click...' system sounds after using a year, but Onkyo in Hong Kong fixed it for me at no extra charge. They did not say what is wrong, but I can tell that they make the start-up delay time longer! I believe that the DSP has not been properly initialized, and generates that system noise. Now after the service the sound becomes clean from all channels. Of course now you will get SR800 instead, but this amp will surely fill my home with music for another many years!

Purchased At:   Hong Kong HIFI Shop

Submitted by mikeskeetr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to say, I bought this receiver having read all sorts of magazine reviews on it, but not reading REAL LIFE reviews such as the one's I read here after purchasing it. Needless to say, it struck fear into me, cause I dont know ANYONE who is comfortable buying something with so many possible flaws (aka clicking and popping).
With that said, I am happy that I have NOT come across any of the aforementioned issues. This receiver has treated me well and has delighted me with it's clarity. Any 6.1 material sounds dead on, full, and thoroughly enjoyable, and running 5.1 material matrixed to the rear center channel sounds fuller than I would have imagined. I guess that is due in part to the 192/24 dac's on all channels as opposed to just the fronts on some other receivers - as well as THX certs.
I am running Polk RT55i's in the front, Polk CS245i for center, and Polk RT600i's for the rear w/an rc80i in ceiling for the rear center - all sound great with this receiver.
I still haven't used all of the options on this receiver yet (including 8.1 outputs) but look forward to it in the near future.
The remote is well laid out and has many buttons for ease of use for set up (on screen!) and for normal functions. I really have no complaints about this unit...if you find a late model one for a good price (like I did)and you dont have speakers that drink wattage like it was water, GO FOR IT!!!

Purchased At:   Circuit City