Onkyo TX-DS747 A/V Receivers

Submitted by oinegol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver was my giant leap to migrate to Dolby Digital. I traded my Onkyo stereo receiver for a discount and hooked up a stereo VCR to enjoy concerts and Dolby Pro-Logic movies. Then, I added a LaserDisc to watch movies in DD. This product is European edition and has an RF AC3 decoder in one of two coaxial digital inputs. Sooner, I also bought a DVD-Player and completed my home theater set-up. It's a versatile receiver that supports all formats up to DTS including vinyl, compact cassette, CD, LD and DVD. If you're complacent with Dolby Digital, this product is your pal for a decade.
I never regret buying this product. I noticed the volume control knob problem, but learnt to live with it. I also experienced a drop in Dolby Digital sound stream in every 10 minutes playing AC3 LaserDiscs. Since I don't rent LDs any more and occasionally watch discs from my collection that does not bother me at all. I have now established a collection of movies (both PAL and NTSC in three formats: VHS, LD and DVD) about 300, with the faith of this product. Thanks to Onkyo for making superior products such as TX-DS747.

Purchased At:   Onkyo Retailer

Submitted by amomar23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Grate receiver for movies and music.
My home theater:
Onkyo txds-747
pioneer 343 (dvd
AR 328ps(front)
AR 205ps(rear)
AR c225ps(center)
REL ACOUSTICS Q100E(subwoofer)
SONY ES ca80es (cd player)

Purchased At:   at online

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was very happy until it became a little outdated. I was going to buy another Onkyo, but for price and features I decided to go Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX this time. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Edgar Furse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this receiver. Ive had it since early '98 and I treat it better than my siblings :-). I have had the same issue with the volume control and it would get annoying at times but... I couldnt be with out my center piece to my system for more than a week so I never took it in.

I aggree with the other reviewers when they say is a little shallow. The highs are a bit bright but its nothing a small adjustment with the trible EQ cant fix. This unit really shows its try colors when listening Dolby Digital sources.

And the ONKYO CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWESOME. Almost 1 year AFTER my warrenty expired, I was re-arranging my listen room when the center channel went completly out (It was my fault ... I still had the system plugged in at the time.. but Ill never admit to it). I called up ONKYO and told them about the issue and mentioned the Volume problem and they were glad to take care of it under warrenty. I was soo happy. ONKYO did a great job. I got back my reciever (1 month later no thanks to the really BAD service place I took it to APM ELECTROINCS SUCKS MY @#$%@$#) and its in better condition then when I got it brand new.

OVERALL : BEST RECIEVER YOU COULD BY FOR THE PRICE

Purchased At:   Curcit City

Submitted by John Braga a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I also bought this open-box at Circuit City several years ago, it was a purchase I don't regret! Yes, the volume control has the infamous "I'll decide what level I want to be at" problem, but honestly, it's not that big of a problem. It will adjust itself maybe once or twice when the unit is warming up, then not bother me for the rest of the time I'm using it. I suspect because the volume KNOB itself is motor driven (watch it move when you use the remote) the motor or motor servo circuits are temp sensitive. So I let the unit sit idle with the power on for about 15 minutes before I plan to start using it, and it takes care of the self adjusting volume. Anyway, besides that, I find the sound just a tad short of the Carver seperates I used to own (they were two channel, so I sold them). There's not quite as much "punch" on the low end and the highs are a tad "bright". The bass I can compensate for by using the "3d bass" feature on the unit, and turning the bass control knob down a tad so it doesn't get boomy. The bright highs may just be some sort of nuance caused by my using horn-loaded speakers (Klipsch Cornwalls) that I was able to adjust out of my Carver preamp. Using the Onkyo in 5.1 mode (with a Klipsch KSW-15 sub, SC-1 center, JBL rears), I used the Video Essentials DVD set to adjust the phasing and time-delay settings for my theater, and the Onkyo, simply put, is STUNNING! I'm very happy with this unit, and would recommend it without reservation, so long as I could tell whoever was interested to warm it up first. Using the rating system given here, I can't call it a "giant killer", and it's not "far better than (I) imagined, so it's gonna get a pair of 4s from me.

Purchased At:   Circuit City