Onkyo TX-DS656 A/V Receivers

4.2/5 (51 Reviews)

Submitted by Christoph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have my TX-DS656 for 12 years now... And overall this is a really great A/V-reciever. I never had prroblems with it, but... Now I wanted to mount some speakers in the kitchen and I can't turn them on... I came to the conclusion that my remote speaker switch doesn't work.?

Submitted by daniel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
i have a TX-DS656 and the Fan does not cut on when being on for a while? Is there a problem? If i run it without a fan what would happen? Please resopnd to my Email @ itzwhat@aol.com

thanks

Submitted by ohm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the price, this is a great receiver. sure there is no DTS/THX...etc. But you are getting real bang for your bucks. I pulled my amp apart when i first got it, just to see what makes it tick. The components used are good grade, with some being real "audiophile grade" for such a modest receiver, good sized capacitors are used & a decent power transformer.
This receiver keeps it all pretty simple, yet delivers where it really counts, (which is what we want right?)

I have run 6 full on DVD movies, ie: Pearl Harbour...etc: back to back at near THX levels, this baby got hot and that fan was doing overtime, but it did not miss a beat, in fact the sound became a little more smoother & slightly warmer.

I have owned many Onkyo products, and I have the fantastic 989 in my sound room, the 656 was a great product from them, and for there 1999/2000 catalogue, it graced the front cover over there top of the range THX models. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU.

Submitted by Jamalav a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
As far as Home Theater (DD5.1) and music (CD & analog tapes) goes, the Onkyo TX-656 past ALL the test. My 5 full-size spkrs; Cerwin-Vega AT-12 in front, KLH 311 3-ways in rear and JBL C-305 in center, and AR PS-112 12"-subwoofer, really are conveyed clean and strong via the powerful capabilities of this receiver. DVD, CD, Digital Cable, video and cassette tapes never sounded better. The video switching and audio recording features along with 85 watt powerful amp makes this a win win combination. I hear the fan, only it doesn't bother me. The remote is junk, but other Onkyo model remotes work fine. I use the RC-391. E-Bay should have Onkyo remotes in the RC-390 series. I will caution, spend money on QUALITY interconnects and lower grade speaker wire... I recommand AR interconnect cables and Monster for the speakers. If you are NOT satisfied after checking your connections, change your speakers or their locations. You really need to experience full sized sound with this unit - it will blow you away. I've used this set-up for over 3 years now and don't miss not having DTS. By the way, I purchased above unit at Topps as an Open-Box item w/instruction manual and the better RC-391 remote.

Purchased At:   TOPPS

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Okay first off. I upgraded from the TX-DS656 to the TX-DS777. At first I was convinced that this modell 777 was a much better model than the 656. Well a turn of events has changed that. The TX-DS656 has much better bass in movie play back. I mean so much so that if you have full speakers in the front you do not need a powered sub in order to get ground shaking bass and this is without the 3D bass feature being activated. The TX-DS777 has no bass (if it did it was not enough and no where near the amount of bass present in the TX-DS656 even without the #d bass button enabled). The Mids and highs sounds so much more destinct on the 656 and the bass is not at all overpowering. The 777 had either too much or too little. I really do not want to make this into a long report, but I will say this the TX-DS777 did have more features and more power, but when the sound was not as good as this 656. I am lucky to get it back. I will say this when I do get my hands on the 898 it will have to undoughtedly out perform the 656 in all areas. What I also do not understand is why you cannot turn off the display on the 777 and you can on the 656. This feature seems to have only been given to the TX-DS989 and not even any of the newer models have this feature.

Purchased At:   Tops